Friday, January 8, 2010

OOEY GOOEY GOODNESS

Evening! I am up past my bedtime to share with the world the best recipe I have had in a while! Madyson wanted to bake something tonight, well I am NOT a baker (besides cupcakes) I don't know how to do cakes, pies, etc. I am a cook. I cook food. I am not a baker! (Are we clear?) well I had a box of yellow cake mix and I was going to go the safe route until Madyson ran to the cookbook cabinet (yes I have an entire cabinet of cookbooks) and pulled out the COOKBOOKThe Lady & Sons Savannah Country Cookbook, by Paula Deen. Now anyone who has eaten my cooking knows that Paula and I cook alot alike! I love to take her recipes and compare them to mine! Sometimes I will even make something of hers and not tell Todd and he will respond with "What did you do different? This doesn't taste like the way you do it!" (HUGE COMPLIMENT!)
But boy does Paula KNOW her desserts! Well, I started flipping through the book and found the recipe for Gooey Butter Cakes. We happened to have all the ingredients so I thought, why not.

LET ME TELL YOU THAT I AM PERSONALLY ADMITTING THAT I WOULD EAT THESE OVER OREOS ANY DAY! I EVEN WENT AS FAR OF SAYING..."I MIGHT EVEN TRADE THEM FOR ........" yup, they are THAT good.

Here is the Recipe in Paula's words:

"Gooey Butter Cakes
serves 15 to 20
I could write a full chapter on this dessert. It is the number-one choice in our restaurant.
One 18 1/4 ounce package of yellow cake mix
1 egg
8 tablespoons (1 stick of butter), melted
Preheat oven to 35o degrees. Combine ingredients and mix well. Pat into a lightly greased 13x9-inch baking pan. Prepare filling.
Filling
One 8-ounce package cream cheese, softened
2 eggs
1 teaspoon of vanilla
8 tablespoons (1 stick of butter) melted
1 16 ounce box of powder sugar
beat cream cheese until smooth. Add eggs and vanilla. Add butter; beat. Add powdered sugar and mix well. Spread over cake mixture. Bake for 40-50 minutes. You want the center to be a little gooey, so do not overbake!"
Are you drooling yet? I let them sit for about 15 minutes and they were DIVINE. the filling is amazing but it is more of a topping then a filling.

She also gives different ideas for variations. If you don't have this cookbook, add it to your collection. I am telling you, it is worth it!
Tomorrow is the funeral for Uncle Charles. We will be leaving early in the morning for Grenada. Please pray for our safety as we drive up north (not sure what the weather will be like) and for our family as we celebrate the life of Charles Henry Sullivan!

2 comments:

  1. My mom created something that I think may be similar to this but uses less ingredients. You use your favorite flavor cake mix and frosting. Mix the cake following the directions on the box. Then mix the frosting, an egg, and cream cheese and pour over the cake batter. I'm not sure on an exact bake time...she always told me to just bake it until it "looks done" which means until it doesn't look runny...to me it is almost like the frosting part is like a cheesecake texture and the cake part looks like a normal cake. She's done chocolate, lemon, strawberry, german chocolate and who knows what other flavors and all are yummy!

    ReplyDelete

Let's Chat