Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Tips Tuesday: Organization



I could write a novel on organization. It is something I have a passion for yet don't always live up too! 
(ex..my desk right now!)

But since I need to keep this in "blog length"

I am going to highlight some of my favorite ways to organize

1) get a label maker.  This is the 1 thing you will need in maintaining a super organized life. From bill files, to sock drawers, to barbie boxes. Anything and Everything can be labeled!

2)AVOID plastic storage buckets. These do come in handy when packing up holiday decorations and taking them to the attic or storage room, but when you have them around the house they will collect anything and everything that needs to be picked up and put away fast. Then it never gets emptied..or does a few months later.

3) Empty a room of junk and begin to put it back and create "a place for everything". Our playroom was a disaster. We literally had to empty the entire thing and start over. Now all the toys have a "home" and Madyson & Ak (and Todd) know that when play time is over we return the toys to their home so mommy doesn't get sad.

4)Clothes. These will and probably have taken over your life. I know they do mine! I try my best to do this every 6 months. Keep all your hangers turned one way, I usually do it so the hook is facing out. Then over the months when I hang them back I make it so the hook is facing in. Whatever is left hanging "the wrong way" after 3-6 months needs to be thrown out. Just do it.

5) Use every bit of storage you have. We are limited on our storage in our house. The closets are tiny, there isn't a lot of cupboard space, and if we add anymore to the attic, the ceiling is going to fall in. 
So we have to utilize every inch of space we have. Under our bed serves as the spot for off season shoes/bags/clothes. They are all in ZIPLOC XLARGE STORAGE BAGS and this is where they stay.

6) Use things in ways that they shouldn't be. By this I mean, I am the QUEEN of behind the door shoe storage. I have these all over my house. Madyson has 2 small closets in her room. 1 is used for shoes & 1 is used to store barbies. We also have these in our laundry room to hold the dryer sheets, downy ball, cleaning supplies, etc.

Okay, well thats enough for today. One day Ill write my novel on organizing and you can all be enlightened!



2 comments:

  1. I found your blog from Lamberts Lately....and I am a new follower! I love your organization tips and I have to say, you are SO right! I am a plastic bin addict (ha!) and they collect soooo much junk and are impossible to discreetly store...thanks to you, I am trying to kick my plastic storage addiction :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the tip about turning the coat hangers different ways. I know there's always things each season that I don't wear, but I can't ever remember what they are and since I like those items they just don't get thrown out. I'm going to have to try this when I swap out my winter clothes for my spring/summer clothes and have a cleaning out at the end of the season!

    ReplyDelete

Let's Chat