Thursday, March 25, 2010

Nor Flesh of my Flesh or Bone of my Bone, but still miraculously my own. Don't forget for even a minute, you grew not under my heart, but in it.



Since posting that I would be going to California to visit my biological dad and siblings, I have received a few emails wanting me to address my adoption story in detail. So Here I Go.

When I was 6 days old I was adopted. I never went through foster care or lived in an orphanage. I went straight from my biological parents arms to my parents arms with just a 3 hour car ride separating the two. 

My parents had begun the adoption process and even though they had no idea of how soon a baby would arrive, they put a baby crib up in January of 84. They prayed to God for either a baby to come or the desire to have one to leave. They wanted nothing more than a precious little boy. That's right BOY.

One night shortly before I was even born, my grandmother had a dream about holding a baby girl in her arms. She called my mother the next day and described this baby in a white gown, with a little red heart at the bottom. 

The night I arrived in Jackson was a stormy Friday night. The social worker called from a gas station and asked if she could stop by for a visit. They didn't think anything other than she had more paper work for them to fill out.

When she arrived, she was holding a baby. Again, they didn't think anything about it because she had just had a baby of her own. My mom asked to hold the baby and she said, "Sure, she is yours." 

From this point in the story I have heard 2 versions. 1) that my mom screamed, wouldn't hold me and ran and stuck her head in the freezer because she was about to pass out from over excitement. 
2) that she held me and cried for hours. I personally believe the 1st version because most of the witnesses that night  went with this one. 

Like I said, they had a baby bed up, but nothing else. They didn't know I was arriving. So my aunts went out in the rain and bought diapers, and bottles, and formula, and clothes, and blankets and everything they could fit into their cars.

They say within hours the house was flooded with people. 

My mother received a gift, that I still have...holding on to it, incase I ever have my adopted child.

It says "Nor Flesh of my Flesh, Nor Bone of my Bone but still miraculously my own. Don't forget for even a minute, you grew not under my heart but in it."

I have asked my mom so many times how she instantly loved me? I literally was dropped into their lives and they were expected to care for me. She told me that she knew the second she saw me that God had created me for her and that she felt blessed to be able to be my mother.

And the baby in the white dress? Well, my mom and grandma found the exact dress in a local department store, but the only thing missing was the red heart at the bottom. Turns out...on my leg is a birthmark that looks like a red heart. (yes, this is a true story)


Fast forward 22 years later. I am a mother of 1 now, and a wife. I go to sit down at my computer to check my myspace account and I have a message. "Is your maiden name Scott and were you adopted". This was the statement that changed my life. After about 2 hours of dialogue, I have met my biological dad, Bob. We talked on the computer for a few days. I had to absorb all the information and thought that now I have a piece of me I never knew. Our first phone call was long....and awkward. I had so many questions to ask, but couldn't get them out. I just wanted to know everything about him. I remember telling him I had to be guarded because of all the weirdos out in the world. 

about 10 months later, the day had come. Bob, his wife Paula, and my two little brothers drove from California to Mississippi to meet me for the first time. I had just had Aubrie Kate and I was a wreck. I remember my heart pounding. My mom sitting with me in excitement and sadness at the same time. She was happy for me and thrilled to meet Bob but now she felt like she had another person to share with me, and the jealousy of that took a toll on her for the day. My dad, who never shows emotion, was just all okay with it...well at least he says he was. 

Bob called to say they were in the neighborhood. and I hugged Todd. I knew at that moment my life was going to turn upside down. When I answered the door, trying to hold it together I saw a man that I had heard of my whole life. See my parents had the description of Bob from the social worker, "Good looking, dark,Italian. Dark eyes, dark hair." and as our eyes met...I felt our souls reconnect. I knew this man before.

They came in, everyone hugged, my aunt and my mom said thank you to Bob about a million times. I think everyone was in tears at some point. 

They stayed for a few days and celebrated Easter with us. Luckily, I was on maternity leave so I got to hang out with them. It was a great visit.

About 8 months later, Paula came back for a girls visit. She is so amazing. She has loved and accepted me from day 1. She doesn't have to treat me like a child of hers. But she does, and I love her for that.

Now in 7 days we will all be back together under 1 roof. Besides the whole flying deal, the hardest part I am having is making sure my parents are okay with this. Family is a huge part of my life. HUGE. Their feelings are top priority. My mom and I talked about it the other night and I understand where she is coming from with her feelings. But what broke my heart the most was when she told me my dad was having a hard time as well. 

I have explained to both of them that they are my parents. They are the ones that loved me and nurtured me through all of my life. They are the ones that taught me my morals and my values. 

The greatest thing about Bob & Paula is that they has never "pushed" themselves on me. They have always been respectful of my parents and their feelings. I am comfortable with the labels of "dad" and "other mom or step mom" for Bob and Paula. But with respect of my parents, I simple refer to them Biobob and Paula. Madyson however has created her own names "Gigi Paula and GranBob". I think the GIGI part came from her favorite book GIGI, God's little princess. Paula resembles a grown Gigi. 

As an "adopted" child. I have a passion for families that want to adopt. I know it is a scary and costly situation but it can be a blessing for you and for that child. If Todd and I ever decide to adopt it will be a child from America. Probably between the ages of 3-7. I know that there are children around the world that need a home, but I feel for the kids here in America that sit and wait for a family to love them.

I truly am blessed that God gave me to my parents and then gave Bob to me. 
He did it at just the right time in my life. My mom asked me how it felt to have Bob apart of my life now. I told her the same as before, now just a few questioned answers the the little bit of a hole I had filled. She asked me what hole, and this was the hardest part to explain. I never, ever in my life have felt "not loved." I have always been the opposite. TOTALLY LOVED. but there was that hole or void in my life that always wondered, "Why wasn't I loved by them." Once I met Bob and he told me he had wondered all these years if he did the right thing, I knew I was loved. He loved me enough to let me go to have an amazing life. and he continued to love me throughout the years. Does this make sense?


Now the most asked question I receive is "what about your biological mother"? Well, I have never met nor spoken with her. BUT that is because of me. I know her name, what she looks like and some stuff about her from my sister Renea. And I love her, Renea and little sister Mary just as much as Bob & his family. But , out of respect for my mother I have chosen to not meet my biological mom yet. 
I want to make sure my mom is comfortable with the situation in hand before moving on. Thankfully, I have Renea (who I cannot wait to hug one day!!) who keeps me updated on her. One day we will meet, but right now, I have to respect my mother's feelings. 


As a tie in to my adoption story, I found this wonderful inspiration over at the Lancaster's page

A family named the the Oberhausers that are trying to adopt a child from Eastern Europe. Like I said, I love family so much. And my heart is warmed that this family is extended its love to another child that needs it.

The best part is an etsy store as jumped on the Oberhausers journey to bring their baby home. , Leah Larae Baby, is helping with their cause! From now until March 31st, she is donating 20% of her sales to the Oberhauser family. 

All you have to do is go and purchase an adorable outfit or gift from her site!

If you would like to help promote this cause here is the information:

Then this is from the Oberhausers:
The owner of this on-line shop contacted us today and offered to donate $1 for each time someone tweets, blogs, or uses facebook to promote this sale (up to $100)! So, if you feel so led, please promote this sale by using this link on your facebook account, blog, or Twitter account:
http://www.etsy.com/shop/leahlaraebabyshop

Then, send a link of your "promotion" to the following e-mail addresses:

jen.christians@gmail.com
marknjoni@hotmail.com

Thank you for helping bring Vanya home! Adopted for Life, The Oberhausers 





1 comment:

  1. This was so wonderful to read, Sarah! It was so touching. Also, THANK YOU for posting about the Oberhausers. Really, I know they are so touched and blessed by people they don't even know!

    ReplyDelete

Let's Chat