Friday, March 5, 2010

Daily life of a working mom


I am sure most people thinking the daily life of a working mom is an easy routine. But I promise you will be surprised. I wish I could do an hour break down of my day and it consist of lunches with girlfriends, naps and cleaning but mine isn't as easy!

(when I wrote this original opener I was in a hurry to get my girls from school. I did not go back to re read it and I wish I had. This is what I was trying to say.
I am sure most people think the daily life of a working mom is an easy routine...take your kids to school, go to work, come home, dinner, eat and go to bed. That sounds super easy compared to our hard working SAHM mom friends that have to come up with their own routine and schedule...i couldn't imagine! I wish my day was as exciting as some of the others I have read and consisted of lunches with girlfriends, naptimes, and cleaning ...but mine isn't as easy to write down and is def. not exciting...but it is busy!!) I am so sorry for anyone that has read this prior to this correction. I did not mean for it to say that my job was hard than yours. You are amazing and I would never ever ever think that yours was easy. I couldn't do it. That's why I chose to be a working mom, because I knew that I wasn't disciplined enough to run a household fulltime...not yet atleast.)
So here we go

I usually wake up around 6am and try to do 2 things before leaving the house (put dinner on, pick up the den or playroom, put on some laundry...something)
I get in the shower and get ready for work this is usually done by 7:15.
The girls get up at 7:00 (unless todd wakes them up when he is leaving)
they eat breakfast and I get them dressed.
We leave the house by 7:45 (most days...7:55 on the tough mornings)
I drop them off at school and begin working usually around 8am (on the tough mornings its 8:15 luckily my boss has 2 babies and understands)
I get off of work at 3 (except on Wednesdays)
and this is where having a routine and a schedule comes into play

Monday
3-345: I go home and get dinner on, if it something that I cant do in the morning
then i leave to go get madyson and take her to ballet
she is at ballet from 4:15-5
during this time Aubrie Kate and I come home finish cooking
We go back to get Madyson and come home and eat dinner
at 5:50 (luckily we live close) we head to the soccer fields for practice
We are there from 6-6:45 
By the time we get home, Todd is getting home. He eats hangs out with the girls and they usually play and watch noggin together.
I do some laundry (usually) pick up dinner stuff, and get the girls stuff ready for the next day
He baths the girls about 7:45 and most days aubrie goes to sleep around 8:15
(madyson never sleeps so we just don't worry about her *bedtime* she is in bed prayers said, books read by 9:30...but she doesn't sleep)

This is when Todd and I do our bible study together. Then usually we are asleep by 11.

Tuesdays: 
3:00-5:45
I am cooking dinner, eating dinner, getting the girls bathed and picking up the playroom
6:00 Todd gets home from work, he eats, we get ready for Community Group
6:30-8:30 We go to community group
8:45-10 getting everyone in bed and asleep. 

Wednesdays
4:00 I leave work to get Madyson & Aubrie
we usually stop and get snack 
then they go with me to work
Madyson has choir at 6 and Aubrie goes to Nursery School
I get off work at 7:15 
We head home and Todd has usually made us a pizza or a snack
We do the bedtime routine and are usually all asleep by 10:30

Thursday
I leave work at 3 and go home!!!
We (the girls and I) cook dinner together. This is their night to pick the menu
Todd gets home usually around 7.
He does the bedtime routine and I completely VEG OUT

Friday
I wake up and DO NOT HAVE TO GO TO WORK
this is the day I run all my errands. 
If I have meetings with my nonprofit clients I schedule them for this day.
The girls go to school for the morning time then I pick them up after nap
(unless Im doing remodeling at the house)

Well there ya go! my crazy nonstop week. (not included the nights/days when Todd has to work until midnight. I prefer to post our sane schedule for image management =) 

This is all made possible by my fabulous dayplanner.








6 comments:

  1. Sarah, I personally would *never* think the day in the life of a mom who works outside the home is easy.

    I feel like that first paragraph was a total reference to me (maybe it's my ego, and it wasn't at all), but please know that I am very grateful to be able to be doing what I am, and I try not to let a day go by without appreciating it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. P.S. I loved your last post- so sweet and so honest!

    ReplyDelete
  3. thank you for writing this! I never reread my post and I was in a total hurry! That paragraph is result of my over stimulated brain and did NOT come out the way i meant for it too! I have corrected my idiotic words and now you can read what I was trying to say! So sorry that it came off stoody! that is what happens when you have too many paint fumes in your house!
    Love you Sarah Denley! Never ever could I do what you do!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'll be honest: I couldn't do what YOU do!! You're such a hard worker and it seems like you're going non-stop. I'm so impressed by that. I know for a fact that I'm exactly where I need to be, but I definitely understand that being a SAHM and working mom both present challenges and their own quirks. I learned a lot from reading this post!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your children are precious. Working moms lives are never easy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sarah,
    I'm so glad that you posted this! I wanted to post, but didn't because I too, did not know if anyone would want to hear about how early I get up and rush out the door. Do you have an email address? I looked on your profile and couldn't find one. Please email me at LaurieAOPi@aol.com. I have a few things to ask you about Disney and would love to chat with you about being a working mom - which I believe is one of the hardest jobs known to man. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Let's Chat