Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Pack your bags, we are headed to California

I feel like the entrance to this post needs to be the theme song to Beverly HillBillies.

Beverly Hillbillies: The Ultimate Collection, Vol. 1

Over the weekend, I have been talking with BioBob (ya know, my biological dad) about coming to California to visit. If you remember the siblings post you remember how much I miss my little brothers. They are growing up so fast and I hate not being apart of it. So after some negotiating with the husband, Madyson and I are headed to California next week!

Now here is the pros/cons...because you know I have them

Cons:
I have only flown 1x in my life. It was a straight shot to Disney. I have never had to change plans, or any of that. I have no idea how it works..etc. So Lets say, we are planning to go to california, we might end up in whoknowswhere?

Madyson has never flown. She had really bad ears as a baby so we have just driven everywhere to avoid taking her up in the plane. Well, Mississippi-California really isn't a day drive so flying is the only option.

I will be flying with a preschooler. So if I freak out...so will she. Then we will end up on the Today show for being kicked off our flight for being freaks.


Todd & AK will be here in Mississippi for 3 days without us. =(




Pros:
I get to see my fam!

Madyson has already begun amazing dialect about flying, heaven, clouds, pilots, etc. It will make for a great blog post.

It is WARM in California...no snow like here.

Did I mention I get to see my family? =)






Madyson is so excited. She has already started to pack. She has her biggest hair bow outfits picked out. (WATCH OUT CELEBUTOTS....THIS SOUTHERN BELLE IS COMING TO TOWN!)

I have begun my fast research on the best way to travel with kids on a plane, how to get from one plane to the other, what can I bring, What do I not bring, how many shoes will fit in my bag...you know that kind of stuff.

Please Help Me!!!! If you have any great traveling advice, leave a comment below.

OH AND DON'T FORGET!!! THE GREAT CLOSET CLEAN OUT....GET ON IT!!!

4 comments:

  1. this is probably common sense, but be sure to wear flip flops or some kind of other slip-on shoes so that going through security will be a breeze! i NEVER wore shoes that i'd have to sit down to put back on.. and it's especially helpful if you're in a hurry!

    have a great trip!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your blog is so adorable! I just realized that your other blog is the one all about Disney! My husband and I have used that blog to prepare for our first family trip to Disney World in June. I hope you don't mind a new follower!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am a pro at flying, and have flown with Tristan 5 times...anything that is over 3 fl oz (gel, creams, makeup, whatever) and you need to tkae it with you then put it in the checked baggage (if youre even doing this, most airlines charge for this)...anything that is medical is ok if it is over the 3 fl. oz, but you need to have that in a seperate see through bag. When i have flown with Tristan I always had milk (way more than 3 oz...this is ok, but to make security faster, have anything that Madyson needs that you cant buy in the airport in a seperate little bag---they do allow this, but allow for extra time, because they do some sort of test on the liquids you may be bringing for her).
    Anything that you are taking on the plane with you that is gel, cream, liquid (this includes pens) needs to be in a see thru gladlock baggie)

    If she is still in a car seat, you can take this, and either take it on the plane with you or just check it (its free to check) and since youre connecting flights I would just check it as long as you think she will be okay with sitting with a regular lap belt.

    As a courtesy to other passengers I would not take a toy that makes noise on the plane...I would also have on hand snacks or whatever to keep her happy (and those around you happy)...Tristan has ate an unreal amount of cheetos on a flight for this reason.
    I would also talk to her about NOT putting her feet on the seat in front of her (all kids seem to want to do this) and I assure you the person sitting in the seat in front will get annoyed if thhis goes on the whole plane trip.

    As far as connecting flights, if you can make sure your seat on your first flight is towards the front because this will give you extra time in the airport for bathroom or whatever (nothing worse than having only 30 mins to get to your next flight, and it taking 10-15 mins to get off the plane when youre in the back of some of those monster planes). If youre cutting it close on time for you connecting flight and arent sure where to go, just ask someone, they usually are nice and will help.
    If your first flight gets delayed and you are worried about missing your connecting flight then try not to fret, because 2 things will happen (they will delay the 2nd flight if there are enough people that they are waiting on, or 2 they will automatically put you and your sweet girl on the next flight)...not much you can do about this, so not since getting worried about it.

    And yes where shoes that are easy to take off and on, because I have been that person that everyone is waiting on because its taking me FOREVER to get through security ( I had stroller, diaper bag, computer bag, my purse, breast pump, a baby, and then shoes that werent so easy to take off, and food for him in random places of all the above bags...that was my first trip flying with him, I have since drastically cut down on the above items when flying)

    IM sure you guys will have a great flight and fun out in cali!

    Have a great trip!

    ReplyDelete
  4. and...they magazines that are in the seat backs, usually have a map of most airports, if it makes you more comfortable try to find the airport that you are connecting in so that you can get an idea of where you are going once there.

    ReplyDelete

Let's Chat