Sunday, March 7, 2010

Random Question: Rules on Monogramming?!

Okay, I can't believe I am admitting this. I know NOTHING about the "rules" of monogramming. I didn't have monogrammed clothes as a kid. My mom wasn't a "fru-fru" mom, so I don't have anyone to turn to. Aubrie Kate is my fru-fru girl. She always points to her chest and says, "a". And when I ask her if she wants an A there she goes to her little friend, who always has on monogrammed stuff, and says "A". So I think this is where we are heading.

I like monogrammed clothes, Todd's mom monograms but I am not sure the "RULES" of monogramming.

So please help me!!

I know you can do 1 letter for the first name....but what about the last? would it look weird with my girls running around with B's on their chest?

Also why do you monogram the full name like "aBk"?? with the last name in the middle?

If you are an expert on this please, give me insight.

4 comments:

  1. Tonya's Tips:
    1-Do the first letter of their first name...Don't do the first letter of their last name!
    2-Do their full name
    3-Do their 3 initials, first initial on the left, last initial in the middle (much bigger than the other 2 initials) and the middle initials on the right. Not sure why they do it in that order, but they do...it's just a "rule" lol!

    I am obsessed with monogramming Abby's outfits...and some of Parkers! Stay tuned to my blog for pics of their matching, green & white gingham, monogrammed Easter outfits!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. just my opinion....don't do the full name. watched one of those "predator" shows and it was all about your child's name being obvious to a stranger. i know it may sound a bit crazy, but having her name blazed across her shirt is NOT worth it in my book with my little one. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE monogrammed stuff. I've heard what Amy said, too, and I agree to an extent that it can be safer to not do the full name. But if you teach your kids about strangers pretty good I don't think it's that big of a deal.

    I do know people who do the last name so multiple children can use the item (but I recently learned you can take a monogram out!). I haven't done it and would probably be more inclined to do it on a blanket or something rather than right in the middle of a dress.

    Personally, I like the traditional three initial monogram because I just think they're so pretty. I prefer them to the one letter.

    Ok, here is how you can do all the initials and I'll use Aubrie for examples:

    1) the main way you see it first initial- LAST INITIAL- middle initial (Aubrie's would be aBk)

    2) you can also use all caps. If you do all caps you do them in the order they come in the name [I have no idea the "why" of any of this, but I think it would be fascinating to find out]. (Aubrie's would be AKB.) Alot of people don't know this is acceptable!

    3) IF you have four initials (like me!) you do all four in order (so if Aubrie marries a "Smith" it would be AKBS). That's what you have to do with a double name if you don't want to drop anything (some of my stuff is SDPH and some is sHd).

    Whew! You didn't know I was going to write my own post in your comments did you?

    ReplyDelete
  4. "Also why do you monogram the full name like "aBk"?? with the last name in the middle?"

    i think it's to kinda spotlight the first initial of the family name.. i personally have never liked those types of initials. :)

    ReplyDelete

Let's Chat