Thursday, February 25, 2010

The day has come

So today is the day I have been dreading for over a year. The day BEFORE the bathroom mini-reno.

Now I know you are all laughing at the thought of a mini-reno but amazing things come in small packages.

Our front bathroom is horrific. It is pepto pink with GOLD stars. A few weeks ago I got so sick of its nastyness that I ripped the medicine cabinet from the wall...tore down the towel hanger and through all the junk out. It is time to make the bathroom some sort of pretty.

So today, is the trip to the local Home Depot to purchase 3 buckets of paint (1 wall color, 1 cabinet paint and 1 trim paint) moulding, new faucets, try to find a new light fixture, get some new pretties and make this mess presentable.

So why do I dread something that is going to be fabulous? Because I have to do it. Part of the deal of buying my parents house and making it our home was we knew what lied under all the uglyness. And with my skills of remodeling, Todd agreed to let me keep my "home" as long as I don't spend any money paying someone to do what I can do. I know that sounds kind of bossy of him but really I understand. We could have moved into a new house with everything updated and move in ready but we would have had to sacrifice space and i love the space of my parents house.

Todd loved the layout of the house, it just needed A TON of work. so room by room I have been updating, nothing big (like the dreamed about hardwood floors, new crown moulding throughout, and the amazing laundry addition) but enough to make the 70's paneled walls, the pink wallpaper foyer, the gold starred bathroom, the emerald green hallway (yes my parents lived there for 20 years and never updated the weird decor..they just aren't into that sort of thing) presentable.

I know I will be so proud tomorrow as the bathroom looks presentable, I just wish it was going to be a HUGE reno that included walls coming down, new tub, new tile and all that jazz. But like I said, amazing things come in small packages.

2 comments:

  1. I am so happy for you.. I hope that you do a great job.. I hope to see pictures... I want to paint our guest bathroom and our bathroom again just don't have the money.. I hate the paint colors we have you should come help me out.. Your really good at decorating...

    ReplyDelete
  2. please post pics!! :) and i love that you can do that sort of work too. i cannot stand when girls get all "ewwy" and think they cannot do things like simple plumbing and carpentry. :)

    ReplyDelete

Let's Chat