Saturday, February 20, 2010

give them wings and they will fly


So it is Saturday....and it is almost over.

Today has been a big day in the Broadus household. First off, it was my first full Saturday as a single mom. Todd had to work his first full-day Saturday today and I had to do parenting by myself. I was scared, but last night I received a text that I knew would help me today but break my heart all at the same time.

Wendy is a mom friend of mine. We work together at the church, we field trip together because our daughters are the same age & are in class together, we talk about mom stuff, girl stuff, just about everything. We are both Communication/Public Relations people so our personalities match really well. I love Wendy to death. Last night she sent me a text to see if Madyson could come over to her house today to play with her daughter Sara-anna. I, of course, said yes because I trust Wendy 100% she has been doing this mom thing for 6 years and hasn't killed one of hers yet, plus we have really gotten to know each other over the past few months. Then about 45 minutes after I responded it set in what I had just done. I had just given Madyson her first set of "Wings". This would be the first time Madyson has gone to a friends house, without me, and stayed for a few hours. This would be the first time Madyson has ridden in a car with anyone besides Me, Todd, My Mom, Todd's Mom, Todd's StepMom, My Sister, or My Dad. My baby was growing up and I had to let go and let her fly.

I think I cried for 10 minutes. Not because I was scared something was going to happen, but because my first born was now old enough to go off and have a playdate without me. She is growing up. She is no longer a baby that needs mommy all the time, it was a hard knot to swallow but I knew she would have an amazing time and I knew it had to happen sooner or later.

So this morning I woke up and rearranged the furniture, got the girls up, ate cereal with them, got Madyson ready and we went outside to ride bikes while we waited on Mrs. Wendy and Sara-Anna to come pick Madyson up!
Wendy arrived with "the gang" in toe. Hardin her six year old, cousin spencer, and sara-anna! They were jamming out to Hannah Montana and so excited to be here! Wendy leaped out of the car and grabbed Madyson up and just loved on her and gave me the run down of the day.
There house to play, lunch, the park. She got the list (small list) of foods/drinks Madyson would eat. Then she buckled her up and they were off! I was okay, I had a peace over me. Aubrie Kate on the other hand...was a wreck. She cried "Sisa, Sisa" for about 20 minutes. I just held her close and told her, "I know baby, I'm going to miss Sisa too, but she is a big girl and we have to let her grow up." About that time my "sista" called and said she was coming over with my nieces, so Aubrie Kate perked right up. They came over and we hung out, then went to lunch, and then I texted Wendy and told her we were headed to the park to enjoy day 2 of 67 degree weather. Wendy said they would just meet us there in a little while.
We played at the park and Aubrie dominated. It amazes me how "big" she really is. She goes up the stairs, down the slide, around the play equipment, back up the stairs, and down the slide...with no problem. Reminder number 2 that my girls are growing up.

Wendy arrived with Madyson and Sara-Ann (in her batgirl costume ;) ) and we played at the park for a while. Then everyone got whiny so we headed home for nap.

I survived my first playdate! I have heard all about dress-up, cookie baking, how clean there house was, barbie costumes, friends, about 200x and I love that she is so excited to share with me. I hope I get this much details when she comes home from her first date.

They always say to treasure the moments you have with them when they are young because they grow-up so fast. I never knew how true this was until today.

1 comment:

  1. I know I will SOB when Evy Kate goes on a playdate without me. I will be a wreck, guaranteed. I'm glad you made it!

    ReplyDelete

Let's Chat