Thursday, December 31, 2009

Confessions of a Shopaholic


Hello, My Name is Sarah and I am a Shop-a-holic.

This has taken months for me to come to terms with but I am. I love to spend money. From November 2, 2009-December 2, 2009...I spent 727.82 cents at a large chain store...and groceries were only 234.03 of that! So my big goal for 2010 is to shop less, save more.



I am going to do my very best to only purchase things if I have a coupon or if they are on sale/consignment. The only exceptions I have given myself is AK's birthday, gas, and bills. Disney has its own account so it won't effect this resolution. But this is something I have to do. I still haven't adjusted to my new "salary". I took a HUGE pay cut when I left my job to go and work for the church. I knew what I was getting into before I did it but I didn't realize how comfortable I was with my spending lifestyle until my bank account started to show it! Todd and I are only giving ourselves 1 date night (with a $50 limit) a month. Instead of 4-8 family nights out we will only have 1 and we will only have a ($45 dollar limit) for that. I have already purchased all my "things" i will need to get my spending in control. I have notebooks to keep up with all my receipts (1 for each month) a coupon box and travel book, I have registered with all the sites for more coupons. I have even signed up on some of our favorite restaurant sites for monthly coupons. So I am ready, and I am asking for you to help keep me compatible. Finances are something people are scared to talk about with others (esp. people you don't' know real well) but Todd and I have a goal to be debt free this year (we don't have alot so it won't be hard but it will be if I keep SPENDING like a maniac)



Also on the list of TO-DO's in 10. is



1) spend Saturday mornings with the girls doing crafts, cooking, playing and less running around.



2) Saying no more often and sticking with it. If you remember from the what I like about me post, I love to take care of other people's problems before handling my own.



3) Care less about "not being part of the crowd" This year has really taken a toll on me when I receive invitations to showers and such and I was not asked to be a hostess. I have got to realize High school is over and this is a minuscule thing.



4) read 2 books a month. I know for you readers two doesn't seem like alot but I don't read. I mean I just got my first library card! so I am starting off with a goal I think I can do and If I get to read more then great!!



5) Witness to people and not be scared to talk about my faith openly. and do a devotion everyday! I pray everyday but this past year I got so overwhelmed with everything I forgot to do my devotions, which is something I miss!!



6)Do more charity work. I made a promise to help with the Ronald McDonald house and I plan to do it!!



7)be more patient with Todd. I am Italian. I have a streak that erupts when I get frustrated/tired/or upset...and Todd usually gets the grunt of it. He works so hard for our family to provide me with the lifestyle I like, I sometimes take it for granted. So I will say thank you more and whine less.



8) Throw at least 2 bags of "junk" out a month.



9) Put my meals into recipes. I don't cook from a recipe...everything is "up here" but every now and then I have a friend ask me how to make something and I literally can't tell them. So in 2010, I want to be able to share my food!



10) Not let laundry get overwhelming. This is something I have to do! I will wait (literally) until our closets are empty of seasonally clothing because I hate to do laundry. Not in 2010!!



Well there you have it! Please do not be afraid to hold me to any of these! I need you to keep me strong and on task!

7 comments:

  1. Jarod and I went through following Dave Ramsey's plan to help us get out of debt. The day I paid off our last debt (other than the house) was SUCH a relief! It was a struggle at times, but definitely worth it. If you ever need to talk/vent to someone about the process, or being frustrated when you have to tell friends "No, we can't go out to eat because it's not budgeted" I'm here! I'd also love to hear about the volunteering at the Ronald McDonald house. Jarod and I have made a goal to do something charitable at least once a quarter this year, so I'm looking for different things we can do. For reading, if you like murder mysteries, check out the 'Cape Refuge' series by Terri Blackstock. It's Christian fiction and has been REALLY good and easy to read!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i, too, suffer from the same. however, since i quit my job last year...i have had to come to some seriousness with myself and figuring out want vs. need. i still haven't figured it out, but have found that if i STAY AWAY FROM TARGET i stay on budget. amazing, i tell my husband that there is a $50 cover charge to walk in the door. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Visiting from Kelly's blog. I love your list...is so real! Mine should look a lot like yours. Thanks for sharing. Your girls are so pretty! I'm a mommy of 2 girls too :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your list! Good luck in 2010!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm also coming from Kelly's Korner. You have a great resolution list! I have also curbed my spending greatly since I am staying home with my daughter this school year. It has been challenging, but also freeing. I second the "stay away from Target" advice!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I forgot to tell you that your daughters are adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you guys so much and thanks for visiting!! I am really doing good! I have not bought 1 thing in 8 days which is AMAZING for me. I actually paid off 2 Large Bills today!! It is not easy by any means to give up something you really enjoy but I have learned to replace it with a game of CandyLand!

    ReplyDelete

Let's Chat