Monday, April 5, 2010

Latest Topic, What Does The Easter Bunny Have to Do with Easter?

A post was recently started on our Church's Social Media Page about "What does the Easter Bunny have to do with Easter"


I guess I have never thought about it, just gone along with it. For those that have been following for the longest time, you can remember my struggles with Santa.


So this is my thought on the subject:



We wake up to little baskets that hold a new bible or devotional, lifeway story books, this year we got believer bands (which are like silly bands but from lifeway) and other biblical related items. 
After Church, We give the girls Easter happies from us. This year they got new backpacks and monogrammed sippies. 
I think you can celebrate the true meaning, instill it in your kids and use the “characters” as another way to bring the word to your kids. Just like we use Veggie TalesVeggie Tales: An Easter Carol and other television characters to teach about Christ, we can use the Easter Bunny and Santa. That is how we do it anyway.  
I read once that the egg was a symbol of the grave and life renewed or ressurected by breaking out of it. Also, a symbol of resurrection, while being dormant it contains a new life sealed within it.  Which to me is a great way to look at the secular aspect as well. 
I am no expert on this topic, but I do feel characters can help relate the stories of Jesus to children, if done with Christ in mind…and not peeps. 
When I google searched “what does the Easter Bunny have to do with Easter” I did find this article. if anyone is interested.
I know as a Children's Sunday School Teacher, It is hard to discuss death and resurrection with four year olds. You read the Easter Story or the Christmas Story to them and still get tons of questions that you may or may not be able to answer.
My S.S. Kiddos learned the Easter Story. We read it for 4 weeks and we discussed it. IT was hard for them at first to think about Jesus dying. IT is hard for me now, as a mom, to think about God's Greatest Sacrifice, His Son. 
I had questions like, "Why did Jesus have to die?", "Will I be resurrected?" "How could God let his Son die?" All great questions for four year olds. We took it step by step and discussed what the bible says. 
And I'll admit. I am a Sunday School Teacher, An Employee of the Church, and A grownup and 98% of the time, when I read the bible, I have to use the children's bible as a reference. Because I am a visual learner and well, we all know The original bible didn't come with pictures. So some of the questions were easier to answer with pictures and let the children use their imaginations on what it looked like, because all we have to go on is description anyway.
Yesterday, as Easter morning approached, I didn't mention the Easter Bunny to my S.S. kiddos, out of respect for 1 family that I know chooses not to celebrate holidays with characters. But Madyson, who you have to love, decided she will inform my class about "HER SPECAL EATER  WABBIT"
Madyson believes and understands that her Easter Bunny is very special because he loves Jesus. He knows that Madyson loves Jesus too, which is why he brings her stories about Jesus, instead of candy. She looks forward to her books on biblical stories, her devotions, and things that help her grow with Christ. And thats how she describes the Easter Bunny. "He helps me grow closer to God"
So I guess my outlook on "The Bunny" is this: Use him as a tool. If your focus is to raise a Godly child, USE those moments you have early Easter morning to remind your children of the reason for Easter. 







1 comment:

  1. I totally agree. I'm not usually a "go with the flow" kind of person just because society does something, but I don't want my kids to be surrounded by these characters and it put a strain on them or others if we don't celebrate them. As long as they are used appropriately to honor the Lord, like you said, it's perfectly fine. Well said!

    ReplyDelete

Let's Chat