Sunday, May 20, 2012

to the seniors of 2012

Today was Baccalaureate service at church. This is when all the graduating seniors get recognized in front of the church.

As the "graduation march" started and these teens dressed in their cap and gowns started walking down the church, I had this overwhelming emotion come over me and the tears started flowing. (Actually they are right now too as I type)

10 years ago, that was me. I was that Senior that had the whole world in front of them and dreams, dreams, dreams! I was going to be a doctor or a nurse or a vet...I was going to work for Disney at some point....be married young, be a young mom...and probably run for mayor...one day.


Then as the emotions and memories flooded my brain, it was like it fast forwarded me 12 years, when I will be the parent that gets up to pray with my Senior girl. They showed a slide show of baby pics and senior pics of the students. In my head I saw madyson's first day of Kindergarten pic and her last day high school pic. The tears flowed more.

I glanced at these young people before me, many have had huge roles in my children's lives as sitters and mentors and thought if I were the speaker today...what would I tell them?

probably something like....

Congratulations, welcome to adulthood. Life is no longer easy. From this point forward you will walk your own path, not the path set before you by your family...your peers...your church. You are an individual now, a college freshman, a bootcamp rookie, a new employee at an hourly job. You are now a person who can decide how your life will turn out.

Some of you will go on to college. You will encounter people who believe different from you. Some of you will join the military and learn the sacrifice that has been made decades before you just so you could be an adult. Some of you will join the workforce, get married, have children. With all of these comes responsibility.

With responsibility comes outcomes or consequences. I suggest the first choice.

Life you life but live it with no regret. That means when you are 28 and talking to a bunch of 18 year olds make sure you can say "from the day I sat in your set to today, I honored Christ in every decision I made." Not "Man, I regret that I never attended that party everyone else did"

Life is hard. Sometimes its rockin and you are getting it all right. Sometimes nothing is right and you can't figure out why. Don't be afraid to ask God for help. He already knows the answers.

When you are traveling down the path to your dreams and goals and all the sudden the road runs out. Don't try to make the jump. Back up and give God the will. Let Him guide you, even if it is not what you want.

Pray daily. Get some sleep. But when you wake up...don't go out in public in your pajama pants. Go to class. Even if you get 10 skips...try to only use them when you really need them. and most of all....come home some. Tell your parents you love them. Keep them a huge part of your life. You will always be there baby, and they need to know that you are okay.

Congratulations graduating seniors!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let's Chat