Thursday, May 24, 2012

The adventures of Bird and snake

Happy Thursday!
I am on day 3 of stay at home mom life and so far....I love it. This morning Madyson asked me to set up our little baby pool in the yard for her, Aubrie, and Gavin to play in this afternoon. Today was a half day at school so I thought that sounded like a great idea since we would be home most of the day!

Aubrie and I were filling up the pool when I noticed the "army" of birds squealing, sqwaing, and cawing in our bushes. I ignored it at first then saw a baby bird on the ground. I figured that was the deal so I scooped up the bird and grabbed a basket out of the garage. As I was walking towards the bush, I saw another bird hopping around the yard. So I scooped up that bird and added it to the basket.

I was explaining to Aubrie that we usually don't touch birds because they can make us sick. But we needed to return these to the mom so she could take care of them bc they were too little to leave the nest. (yes, she will return. Its an old wives tale that if you touch a bird they wont return) As Aubrie and I were standing at the bush I reached up to stick the basket of birds near the nest when I saw it...

A HUGE SNAKE. i jumped back. Told aubrie to get in the back of my dad's truck and ran to the garage to find something long enough to get this snake. My dad came out as I was running to the garage and I told him the situation, he ran in to grab the BB gun, in case it was a poisonous one.

We creeped over to the bush, I pointed out the snake and we stuck the handle of the tool up in the bush and pulled the handled out. When the snake came out we realized it was a 4ft long king snake! We were going to pick it up and move it to the near by ditch but the fast booger took off...somewhere?!?! (we think it went under my dad's truck and up on the tire.)

I grabbed Aubrie Kate out and took her to the other side of the bushes. We had the baby birds in tow when we heard Roger, the lab, crying. Thinking "oh great, another snake. I put Aubrie (and the birds) in the garage and got the stick. Turned out to be another bird :) So we added that bird to the basket and put them on a table near the bush. About 30 minutes later, Momma returned. She fed them and came back numerous times during our pool  playing adventure.
As I thought about it, I got really emotional! (I think the whole last day of kindergarten tomorrow is taking a huge toll on me) That momma and daddy bird sensed danger with the snake and got their babies (who can hop, but not fly) out of the nest so the snake couldn't get them. Then them, along with their army of feathered friends attacked and made a mess of noise to try to scare the snake away.

I explained to the kids that no matter if it is a human momma, dog momma, cat momma, or bird momma...we love our babies and will do whatever we have to, to keep them safe.

Pretty adventful morning huh? Lets hope they all aren't this exciting! :/




*I have an open Thirty-One party on my site! May's special is spend $31 and get the All-in-one organizer for $5~ One of my favorites!*

2 comments:

  1. aww what a great chance for you to be home! i love 31 gifts!!! found you via the blog hop xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, that is such a great learning experience for your kids! So sweet! Stopping by from the Networking Blog Hop...I am your newest follower! I would love if you would check out my blog and if you like what you see please follow back :)
    Modern Modest Beauty

    ReplyDelete

Let's Chat