Thursday, February 28, 2013

18 days til she arrives...

4.5 years ago when Todd and I began trying and praying for Baby #3 - I had no idea the roller coaster we would be launched on and how long it would take. It has been a long journey-but we have grown so much over the last few years-I honestly can say-God's timing is amazing.

Amelia will be here in 18 days (or less if she makes her debut on her own) and her room is finished and waiting for her arrival.

I have dreamed about what Baby #3's room would look like and my plan has transitioned over the years. The day we found out I was indeed pregnant I began the real plan for this nursery. My favorite colors are Cilantro and Robin's Egg Blue. I knew I wanted the nursery to be an ombre of the two colors-perfect for a girl or a boy. After months of building my design plan-I showed Madyson (my consultant) and she said, "That's cute for a boy-but what if it's a girl?" I told her I was done with pink and purple. 7 years-2 girls-you get kind of burnt out. So she said, "well, what about coral?" Coral was good. It was girly-but not overused. We also decided on some pops of yellow-because "that's a happy color" ;)

I knew I didn't want this room to be matchy-matchy. I wanted it to be collected-unique-not "perfect" and have a twist of Disney. (since she is our Disney baby)

So I began with the most important part-the crib. Our friends Joseph & Jennifer were in Dallas and swung by Ikea for me and picked up this crib. I love it. It is simple and has a modern touch.


We decided to not use a bumper-I had found some cotton duct material at Hobby lobby that I wanted to use as a crib skirt-Luckily my friend Melissa (who has an amazing etsy shop & facebook page) was willing to make me a simple crib skirt. I paired it with a Target Clearance Crib sheet and monogrammed blanket that belonged to my grandmother. Over the crib is a garage sale frame {painted white} and an Office Depot Engineer Print {$4.00} of Cinderella's Castle. I took the photo on our last Disney trip ;)

The changing area was a big pain in the rear. I needed a small changing table-that could also hold clothes-We found this piece on craigslist {3 hours away}

so Todd went to pick it up. Madyson & Aubrie Kate painted it from blue to coral and I made the changing pad cover out of left over fabrics.

We hung a floating shelf above to hold some changing items-and Madyson's teacher (and one of my Laguna sisters{{Like a sorority sister}}gave me the plate that reads "for this child, I have prayed")

The art work above the changing table is a family art project. We adopted the Russian Nesting Dolls as a symbol for our 3 girls. One night we all sat around the dining table making this little piece of art. Then Aubrie Kate and I took it to Hobby lobby to have it framed. I love it because the girls really took pride in helping make this for little sister.

I needed a place for our queen bed and so it stayed in the nursery {for those longggg nights ahead}} I upholstered the headboard in a green duct fabric-paired it with a vintage quilt and Melissa made the cute chevron pillow for me :) Above the bed is a frame I found while junkin-with Amelia's initials. The little dress was made for me (29 years ago) and Madyson and Aubrie both wore it-

The chair was an accident! I had found one at a thrift store I was going to recover-but my belly got big fast and I didn't have the muscle power to upholster it-so Todd suggested we just buy a new one in a fabric we liked. We new we wanted houndstooth print in the room {{ROLL TIDE}} and one day I was looking on facebook and saw where a friend was selling this chair for a steal! We purchased it and it was perfect.



 Madyson and I made the scripture art above the chair it reads: "Amelia grew and became strong in spirit, filled with wisdom and the grace of God was upon her."
 On the opposite wall is 2 more Lowe's floating shelves. Each has a Target Clearance frame with mats wrapped in leftover scrapbook paper. 1 has a maternity shot from our babymoon and the other has a page from a baby book we found in Todd's mom's stuff. There are a few toys (1 was made by Todd's great uncle 28 years ago) and the embroidery hoops were Todd's grandmothers-I took 2 of his mom's shirts and used that to fill the hoops. I love this little nook.

 Lastly, the little chiffarobe that holds her clothes. I found this at a garage sale for $40. Todd and I created a paint color out of some left over paint that we had. We then did a drybrush technique and some light sanding.

Amelia's room is ready-and I love the simplicity of it. We cannot wait to welcome her in a few days!

**Please excuse the quality of the photos-my memory card decided it didn't like the computer and after 2 weeks I got frustrated and just snapped some with the old android**

3 comments:

  1. The nursery turned out beautifully. She will be here so soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE the stacking doll art!!! What a sweet memory to have...making it and something tangible. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love it all! Love the little touches like the artwork and hoops with Todd's mom's shirts. So totally awesome! And thanks for the link. ;)

    ReplyDelete

Let's Chat