Monday, February 11, 2013

A ring.

Todd and I had been working together 6 months. We never "dated" because in the restaurant business you work 7 days a week open to close...then you hang out after work with your coworkers. So there was no time for dating. We spent the summer hanging out and unknown to those around us, falling in love.

Todd's parents had gone to the beach for the week and we stopped by their house after work one night to feed their dogs and take them for a walk. We ended up "spending the night" together, sitting face to face, talking. We talked about our plans for the future, our past, our broken hearts, etc. It was that night I fell in love with Todd.

A few weeks later we went back to his parents house before work because he had to "pick up something". When we got there, I was sitting in his moms pink chair and he came and sat in front of me. He pulled out this vintage diamond cluster and explained how he and his mom had talked and he told her how much he loved me and how he wanted to spend the rest of his life with me...one day. He proceeded to put the ring on my finger and share how his grandfather had given it to his mother for her graduation and after he shared with her his feelings, she gave it to him for me.

notice in this picture (my favorite of them) that she has on the ring.
He said in his own way that he knew we were young, and barely knew each other but he knew his feelings for me were the real deal and that he would be honored if I would except this ring as a symbol of his love.
I was floored. I excepted the ring and off to work we went.

I wore that ring everyday. We eloped a month later and that ring was my original wedding ring. If you read our story-you know we had a wedding months later. And with that wedding came another ring and band and my cluster was put away.

Over the years, I would pull out my cluster because I loved it. To me, it symbolized us. It was given to Todd's mom by her father. And all little girls know the special bond between fathers/daughters. It was the ring we were originally married with. It was a symbol of the $65 we had in our bank account the day we eloped and the journey we had been on over the years... And how far we had come. Almost a year ago I began wearing my cluster daily. It was my wedding ring and I loved it.

When Todd's mom passed away in October, it became more special. Because it was now my piece of her that I wore everyday. Todd's relationship with his mom was the most important relationship he had...I wish I could say "until we got married" but truthfully it was until the day she left this Earth. I was honored to have her with me daily, knowing the love he had for her.

The thing about the cluster is I didn't have a band to wear with it. That was okay with me but it bothered Todd. I told him for our 10 year anniversary he could buy me a guard for the ring. And that was that.

Today, he came home and said he had an I love you present for me. I figured it was something babywise.
He pulled out a box-and inside was my cluster and its custom made band. He had one made for me "because, I love you".
I was so excited. Shocked. And surprised. I am so blessed to have this man who was raised by such an outstanding woman. And now, daily, I have a piece of her and (now)him- with me.

1 comment:

  1. That is a stunning ring and I love the story behind it all. I like that y'all knew you were meant to be together so quickly...Kevin and I knew within a couple weeks of dating and got married after dating only four months. When you know, you know!

    ReplyDelete

Let's Chat