Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Lets Go Walking!!!

I love to drive, most of the time. But when I do, I have a problem going 1 speed, obeying traffic lights, 1 way streets are not for me either! That is why when I am in downtown Jackson, I opt to park and walk places.



So today, I picked a nice side street parking spot under a shady tree, hopped out of the mountaineer and took off. The problem with "taking off" so fast is that I forgot I did not know the address of the building I was going to. So I had to find some nice people. *Mission 1*



I headed down a few blocks, with a good feeling of the direction I was going when I passed my first group of young professionals. I greeted them with a smile and asked if they could tell me the direction to the building I was going. The two girls laughed and said they couldn't find their way to their location (figures...when you set off in 4in heels...it has to do something to the blood flow to your brain) and the guys said they weren't sure and didn't want to lead me in the wrong direction. SO...I kept going and stumbled upon a single gentleman in an orange shirt.



I asked him if he could tell me where I was going, he said "um.. I think it is this way" and began to walk me in the opposite direction. We walked a good 6 blocks when he finally said okay...continue up the walk way and it is either that grey building or that grey building. (there were 4 grey buildings on the street) so I used my process of elimination and remembered that I was going to the *19th* floor. So.. 2 building were short (elimate those) and 2 buildings were tall. I figured I had a 50% chance to get it right so I headed towards the taller of the two. *MISSION 2*



Sure enough, I found the right location.



Well...once I was inside the building I had to go through the metal detector (that took a while)

Then I had to sign-in, have a conversation with the guard about my last name (Still working on getting Todd to be Todd Scott so I can quit all the confusion with BROADUS..it is BROAD-US just like it is spelled NOT BRO-DUS...BROAD-US. There is an A in there!!) got a visitors pass and headed up the elevator to the 19th floor.



As I was standing in the elevator I noticed a camera. I have watched too many CSI episodes where the surveillance of the elevator video camera was used to solve a crime so I made sure to get a full face shot, just in case I disappeared.



Finally, the 19th floor. I stepped off the elevator and looked around there was a bolted mirror door to my right and a funky looking door with no handle to my left. I pulled the old "peeping tom" and saw that there is an office behind the door to my left. So I pulled really hard on this silver bar thingy and nothing. So I tried pushing really hard, nothing. Finally after a few laughs the lady behind the desk unlocked the door with her "under the desk button" and motioned for me to push again.



WHEW. I'm in.



I picked up the "Secret Package" and headed back down the elevator. *Mission 3 is to get it safely to my car* 19, 18, 17, 16 (doors open two gentlemen get in)15, 14 (doors open 1 lady and 5 gentlemen get in) 13, 12, 11, 10 (doors open 1 lady gets in) By this time I am stuck in the back corner of this very crowded elevator, with the surveillance camera blocked. 9, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4 (..almost there) 3, 2 (doors open 2 guys get on...seriously TAKE THE STAIRS IT IS 1 FLOOR!)

1st floor...whew!!!

I made it down, dropped off my badge and headed for the door. As I began my walk back to my car, clinching the secret package tightly, I began to suspect every person that walked passed me. Here I am, this little "girl" walking down the street, by myself with a secret package that could contain something very important.

All the sudden, everyone wanted the package. My hands gripped the package tighter and my walk went from casual to a"power" walk. Finally, I saw my car up ahead. I took off for the door, pressed my automatic unlock button..and jumped in!

Mission ACCOMPLISHED!!!

Once I was safe in the car I used my GPS system to take me back to work. :)

Just another day in the life of an event planner.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let's Chat