Friday, February 4, 2011

Sarah's Guide to Junkin & Pickin!

Ever since I posted about Junkin & Pickin, I have recieved tons of emails (mostly from people up north?) about "THE SPORT". So I thought I would make a guide for yall - who have been wanting to try but not sure how!

Tip #1 Nothing is junk when you have spray paint. Always keep this in mind. With all the different types of spray paint out there-ANYTHING can be beautiful. Case in point: This table. (i thought about taking the picture *AFTER* I started coat one of spray primer..but you can still see the ugly "blonde" wood.

I picked the top out my junkin pile. The legs I purchased from the home depot. Not my color-but my style.
This was my inspiration:$129.00
After some Spray Primer and Some Spray Paint - I now have this! Total cost $10.65

Tip #2. Garbage collection days are great days to start looking. Just because someone else doesn't want it-doesn't mean you don't.

Tip #3 Consider using things in a different way. Always be open-minded. Just because it is a dresser-doesn't mean it belongs in a bedroom.

Tip #4 If you need a certain size something-know your measurements.
I have certain size openings in my house I want items for. I keep them in my "book of notes" that stays with me in my purse. That way if I ever stumble upon a treasure Ill know if it fits before I buy it!

Tip #5-When Junkin-take cash in small bills!

Tip#6 Do not be afraid to haggle. If you really like this old ugly table and it is 50 dollars ask if they will take 25 if they say 45 say what about 35 most of the time-you will meet in the middle. Also when haggling-point out flaws of the item, "a little wobbly, rusted, needs paint, kind of beat up"

Tip #7  take a friend. I am putting a group together for "trashy girl days" Its much more fun to dig through junk when you have friends to laugh with.

Tip #8 check craigslist for church or mission sales. GREAT place for old ugly CHEAP furniture!

Tip #9. Most "Antique" stores carry real antiques(expensive) most consignment/flea markets carry antiques+junk (affordable). If you really want a 1816 Duncan Phyfe "Piere" Table. 
Know the markings to look for. 

Now a bit of Background. One reader wanted to know why I started doing this. 

My dad is a hoarder. (not the nasty dead cats under boxes kind)  We would be riding down the road and see a shelf or a chair in someones garbage and he would go pull it out. FOR YEARS I was so embarrassed. And frustrated. Because most of the time he would do NOTHING with it except store it on our screened in porch. Well about 7 years ago when I got an apartment I needed stuff but had no money. Guess where I went diggin? Yup-daddy's screen porch collections. That's where I discovered my love for repurposing furniture. 

The greatest things about junkin & pickin
1)its a cheap hobby
2) if you paint it and don't like it you can re do it.
3) a house with all new stuff doesn't feel like home. When you add some older pieces it feels like it has been collected over the years.


***Tomorrow I will reveal our family room!! With photos of how we used all of the above and more!***

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let's Chat