Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Lamps, Curtains and Rugs

I detest lamps, Curtains, and Rugs.

I am trying to pick some accessories for our Family Room So I can finally show yall a before & after (1 year in the making) but there are 3 things I cannot commit to-lamps, curtains and rugs.

Here is my dilemma. Feel free to share your insight, your ideas, anything that can make me finalize thoughts.

Lamps: Here is the style lamp I like.


But I am scared that With a somewhat brown sofa-and brown tables and such it will be too brown.
and these are pottery barn...so no spray painting them.

Curtains:
These are my Ikea Curtains. I purchased them for 2 reasons.
1)basic color-would go with anything
2) extremely affordable

They are fabulous. Light weight. Easy to wash. Problem. They need something. With Kitchen Remodel coming up I cannot spend money on new curtains (I have 2 large windows) so four panels would be needed.
My original thought was to take this fabric that I have and add a thick trim around the bottom it would help them pop. Problem. I have a problem with fabric commitments. I have yards of fabric at my house that I have purchased with ideas of how to use them....but once it comes down to it...I just cant.


And well Rugs.................No clue. Right now I have a hand-me down rug that is (guess) Brown and black pattered. It makes me dizzy to look! but with ceramic floors I have to have something under my feet and with a 20 foot long room...a big rug is way out of my price range.


So here ya go-your challenge-help me figure out what to do with these three things. If you want to send pics-feel free to email me at thebroadusbunch(at)gmail(dot)com or post links below! Remember I LOVE color. The more the merrier for me. And with a neutral sofa it can work. Oh the wall color is this
Behr mochachino 740D-4 on bottom and the top "triangles" are Twig Basket 740-D5
Have fun!!!

4 comments:

  1. Have you tried target or Lowe's for lamps? They have great ones and are affordable and sometimes you can pick your own shade. Another option is to look at thrift stores for a paintable lamp...and older lamps usually have very ornate shades that you can't even find these days! What a bargain.

    For the drapes, here are a few ideas: Dye them. Go to Hob Lob or Hancocks and look for some great trim to line the interior (where panels would meet if you have two per window). You could even add the trim with fabric glue, if you want the drapes to be flexible for another use/ room at a later dates. I like the idea of adding a thick fabric band at the bottom. Again, you could even do this with velcro so you would be able to flip out different pieces of fabric as your heart changes :)

    Rugs - Yep...that's a tough one bc for the size of your room it would be expensive. How about a great piece of carpet you can find at a remnant store (there used to be one on Hwy 80 across from that Shell (or used to be shell) at a red light...sort of close to Metro. The carpet building was white). You could have the edges surged (a MUST if you get a remnant) and it would be JUST like a rug but with no pattern (i.e. colored pattern...you could definitely get a textured/ patterned carpet).

    Hope this helps some! I am an interior designer! hahaha

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! Just found your blog on The Mom Blogs and wanted to say hello.

    I will be of no help on your decorating dilemma because I love your lamps and curtains just the way they are! Have you thought about using colorful fabric over the rug itself? If you have a heavy enough fabric, the brown and black patterned rug could be attached to give the rug new life.

    My mother-in-law did this with a huge rug she had. She just used a heavy fabric and attached it to the rug herself.

    It gave the rug new life and a completely different look. And if the rug gets too dirty to clean (so far it's stood up to every dirt and even a muddy dog's footprints) or she gets tired of the look, she says she'll just cover it with another fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sarah, love the lamps...id leave them they will match almost anything. Curtains, have you thought about sheer panels for in front? Those would be pretty and inexpensive. My mom used to make drapes, maybe I could put you two in touch and she could show you, she madé all the ones in her house and they are incredible. As far as the rug, I would try hudsons or ross, marshalls a place like that. I like the fabric idea as well. My thoughts only, I know whatever you do will be beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the fat lamp best. I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the fabric. But, make throw pillows with the fabric and put a wide grossgrain ribbon down the length of the drapes to outline them (if they are long enough). As for the rug, check the second hand stores. The Gateway store in Pearl may be a good option.

    ReplyDelete

Let's Chat