Thursday, November 4, 2010

The ugly....ugly kitchen

So we have an extremely ugly kitchen! For those of you that have been on this journey for a while, you know the background story. For those of you that are new...ill give you a quick overview. Todd and I looked for a 4 bedroom 2.5 bathroom house all over our city. Everyone we looked at was foreclosed and/or falling apart. We knew we needed 4 bedrooms plus 2 living spaces. We wanted a house we could stay in and grow in.

Well, when we were giving up hope we got the opportunity to buy my parents house. It is the PERFECT size. 4 bedrooms, 2.5 baths, 2 separate living spaces, nice backyard....BUT it has never ever been remodeled (built in the 60s) so it is dated and not cool retro dated....like dated as in UGLY.

So we have been working room by room to turn it cute (pictures to come this month, I promise) well...the time is near, we have to start working on the UGLIEST room in the house...The Kitchen. Now this kitchen is SO ugly that my camera gags taking pictures of it so I will show you bits and pieces of the ugly....

The Floor..(seriously, whoever decided that this is appropriate...needs to be committed to an institution)




The original oven spray painted black (yes...)



The Paneling (above the cabinets and on the wall.)


Are you throwing up on yourself yet? Don't worry, I have been FOR YEARS! Here is my inspiration of what I want my kitchen to look like.

Fun-Open-Friendly! I want people to walk in and say "Wow! This kitchen makes me want to cook"


I mean! Check out that back splash...and barstools...add in a green kitchenaid mixer and I would be SET!

So needless to say, I have a LONG way to go! Hopefully, It will be started and done in the next few months! We will see!

1 comment:

  1. Sarah! OMG! I thought I was the only one left with a 1970s kitchen. This makes my heart jump knowing you have one, too! We bought Jon's grandfather's house and I swear they didn't do anything to it after 1975. I have always been so embarrassed of it because none of my friends live in old houses. One day I know we'll either a) re-do it or b) move but either one of those options won't happen for at least a year. It just feels good knowing I'm not the only one in this boat and you are definitely not the only one with that oven! However, mine is still 70s brown.

    ReplyDelete

Let's Chat