Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Santa? or No Santa? That is the Question

So...as seen in previous post, Christmas is such a hard holiday for me right now.
I am torn between Christmas traditions and Faith values. I want my girls to have the best of both worlds but it seems that I am the only person that thinks this could work.

Todd and I don't buy our girls toys, we just don't. They have enough people that love to shower them with toys. We feel that it is more important for Mommy & Daddy to provide things that they need (clothes, shoes, food, house...)This goes for their birthday, Christmas, and any day of the year. I wanted this instilled in the girls before they got older that way they wouldn't expect to get everything they always ask for.

Before Thanksgiving, I have Madyson (Aubrie also this year) go through the playroom and clean out. 99% of their toys are in ALMOST PERFECT condition and most of them are just sitting because the girls don't play with them. So we clean out, gather all the pieces and donate to a local shelter, salvation army, anywhere that will take them.

Then we pick our Christmas project for the year. In the past it has been Angel Tree children, this year it was Operation Christmas Child. We are working (for next year) being able to serve at the stewpot (my home away from home) and collecting blankets and sheets for the Ronald McDonald house. After our Christmas project is dropped off, we begin to discuss gifts for grandparents, aunts, etc. I am a firm believer that if you are over the age of 18 there isn't too much that you really need in life. Now, I do understand (and this year I am one of them) that sometimes something comes along that you really want (Mine this year is a Snuggie. I am the coldest person ever and this product was invented for me. I need 4. 1 for work, 1 for the car, 1 for the house, 1 for the inlaws) but more than often I try to have Madyson make something for the grown-ups or Todd or I paint something for them. And we always give the latest pictures of the girls.

Once that is done the girls (well Madyson until this year) make their Wish List and take it to Santa for his review. Madyson made up her own mind that Santa brings 5 gifts. Which I cannot complain about. This year I have purchased Santa Sacks and the gifts will be in those. (plus it helps me not overspend)

On Christmas Eve, the whole family gets together, we share our Christmas Story, we have dinner, we usually watch a Christmas movie, we open gifts, we decorate cookies, we have one whole day together. Then we all go to bed and we awake to Santa. Now, growing up I had SANTA happy parents. I had tons of gifts all the time, but 1/2 I didn't need, and as I got older I can remember saying, "is that it?" I don't remember, however, ever having Jesus' birthday incorporated into the holiday, besides at church, that's why I do things different.

I love the look on the girls faces as they walk into the den and see their gifts, because they truly appreciate them since they don't get toys regularly. Santa leaves a note, saying how happy he is that they have been living such a great Christian life by going to church, listening to their stories, obeying mommy and daddy and giving back to others. He then writes, because you have given to others, I want to give to you." That way, in some sense, they understand I didn't just get these toys because it is Christmas, I earned them by doing what is right.

As the girls get older (maybe even this year) we will have a Jesus' birthday cake, start the discussion of the candy cane and such. I found this site http://www.promiseofgod.com/teach/
that I can't wait to use. It teaches parents how to teach their children about the symbols of Christmas and what it all means. I can't wait to use it.

But for now, I need feedback, is this the right thing to do? And am I crazy for thinking Jesus can have his birthday but Santa can have some cake too?

5 comments:

  1. I think Jesus and Santa can co-exist, as long as Jesus' birthday is the main focus, which it definitely sounds like it is for your family. I'm enjoying hearing how your family does things, because I know once we have kids, I want to do my best to focus on the TRUE reason for the season and not have it be just about getting gifts or Santa, etc. I think you're doing a great job raising these kids and they are lucky to have you and Todd guiding them in this journey we call life!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really think that you can have a little bit of Santa with Christmas as long as you focus on Jesus as the TRUE meaning of Christmas. Mattie Leigh already knows that she only gets a little bit from Santa and that Jesus' birthday is on Christmas. I plan on finding a toddler-friendly version of the Christmas story that she could understand and start explaining to her the real reason for Christmas. I totally agree with you that it is important to start teaching kids when they are young about the importance of Christian values. Good job on what you and Todd are doing with Madyson and Aubrie Kate.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks! Yalls words are such an encouragement. Heather here is a book that I use when teaching my Sunday School class the Christmas story. It is geared towards smaller children so it has less detail but they get the main point of the story. http://www.thereadingtub.com/displayBook.asp?id=96

    ReplyDelete
  4. girl, you gotta cut yourself some slack. you are doing so many awesome traditions with the girls- giving their toys to less fortunate kids, an annual project, and teaching them what they need to learn. Go with your heart and your gut and you'll be fine.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think you have an awesome and positive outlook on the true meaning of Christmas. I hope to have some of these traditions, especially giving to others, when I have my own children.

    Your girls are adorable!

    ReplyDelete

Let's Chat