Thursday, January 31, 2013

Happy "Gotcha Day" Minnie Pearl.

One year ago today-Todd walked in from work carrying a baby blanket and a small black puppy. (This was NOT the first time he had done that...in 6 months) He went on to explain how he was backing out of his office and almost hit this teeny tiny pup. It was dark & cold that night so he thought bringing her home would be okay-since it was just one night.

In normal circumstances, I would not have complained but just 8 months earlier he and I dug out 2 lab mix puppies out of a hole at his office..per his request. Plus, I had just gone through the miscarriage and we were trying to really press forward with the adoption process and I knew 1 more dog meant 1 more thing to take care of in that aspect (you have to have shot records, etc...)

Jan 31, 2012

 That night-I was lying in the bath being quiet-trying to unwind. When this whimper came from the door. I had made it clear-the dog was to stay in the laundry room. I cracked the door (expecting Todd to walk in with the pup) and in waddled this little puppy. I shut the door, climbed back in the bath, and looked over at her. With these big brown eyes she looked at me and at that moment it was like the time you hold your child for the first time. I knew she wasn't going anywhere. I began talking to her-telling her she needed a name. She sat intently listening to my list of suggestions-I said "Minnie" because of our love for Disney & she looked like a Mini lab. and with that she came over to the bathtub and like a seal...slide into my bath water. Before I could gasp-and try to get her out-she cuddled on my chest, buried her head in my neck and was still. Within a few minutes-she was asleep. Todd came in and smiled and said-"I guess she is staying" and I told him-she thinks, I am her momma.


The months that followed have shown that dogs-have souls. I never have been close to any of my animals-after working in a vet clinic in high school/college and the zoo as an adult. Animals are Animals and they need to be treated like that...Not Minnie Pearl. Minnie Pearl understands human. She listens to commands, she knows when she is in trouble, she adores the family. She plays with the girls like a kid, she loves to kayak, she adores nap time, and is always ready to snuggle.

With all the sadness 2012 had with it-Minnie Pearl was a great healer during all of it. Many nights-where Todd and I were up crying-She was there. When the girls were coping with grandmomma's death-Minnie never left their side.

It is safe to say that I am now 100% a dog person...or dog momma. But I couldn't imagine our lives without her. It's defiantly safe to say that God even chooses the animals for your family-you just have to be open because you never know how they are going to come into your life.

Minnie Loves Amelia's Baby Belly home. This is a daily scene.  



Minnie Pearl, thank you for wondering into our lives a year ago today-You have helped this family heal so much this past year and we look forward to many more years with you!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let's Chat