Friday, January 25, 2013

A Babymoon!

Todd and I are doing a lot of new things this pregnancy!

With Madyson-we were newly married-young-still in school. We just had to make it through her pregnancy (preterm labor, bed rest etc.)

With Aubrie Kate-we were in shock. We had just finished year 1 with Madyson and we were busy starting careers and trying to enjoy her pregnancy (6 months of morning sickness...)

So with Amelia-we are really trying to embrace this pregnancy - it really is such a blessing to us. We decided to take a "babymoon"-a trip prior to the baby for mom and dad.


We haven't been away together since our 5 year anniversary to Chicago-So we are LONG overdue!

We discussed places to go from the mountains-to the beach...even Disney :) After hours of searching I finally gave up.

The next day Todd was at work at messaged me "I have planned our trip".

He chose for us to go to Savannah, Ga. I have been wanting to go to Savannah since I first saw Paula Dean on Food Network years ago. It's a travel destination that was on my bucket list!

So Todd planned our trip-hotel and all :) and we were off for our relaxing vacation :)

our original plan was to fly out Thursday morning. But after 9 consecutive days of rain, snow was in the forecast for MS. Todd text me at 3:45 Wednesday afternoon and say "get ready, we fly out at 5:15". Talk about anxiety. I had not packed, I had not made plans for the girls for that evening...nor gotten them ready for the rest of the week. And I had 25min to do all of this. I threw clothes in a suitcase (forgot pjs, lounge clothes and brown shoes...but we had underwear.) Rushed to get the girls situated. Luckily, my mom hadn't left work yet, so she grabbed the girls for us. And with 10 minutes to spare-we made it to our flight. When we landed in Savannah the pilot said "its a beautiful 77 degrees.." So those sweaters I packed...maybe a bit warm. We checked in to our hotel and by this time it was 10pm. I was starving and my nerves shaken. So we found a little pub/brewery that was close and had quesadillas (my.most.favorite.food) After eating, we returned to the hotel for our first night of solid sleep. It was glorious. Thursday morning we woke up at 8:30 to facebook pictures of snow back home! That sunshine outside the window was looking nice!! We ventured out through Savannah to Goose Feathers...a place I had heard about for a Belgium waffle. (my favorite breakfast food) we indulged


 and then did some sightseeing via the trolley. Being 29.75 weeks pregnant, walking long distance is hard. So Todd arranged a hop on/hop off tour (similar to the one we did in Chicago) so I could see and enjoy the historic district without running myself ragged. We ate lunch riverfront at the shrimp factory. Their shrimp and grits were amazing.



 Afterwards we went back to the hotel and took a long nap. When we woke up Todd was ready for dinner...i was still full from lunch. So we hung out at the hotel, planned some activities for the rest of the weekend and then headed to Boars head on the river for dinner. This was my favorite meal of the week (more on that later). I had a Savannah Steak Salad that was to die for. The atmosphere was romantic and the prices were reasonable and the service was great. Afterwards we got googly- eyed at the Savannah Candy shop-then went back to the hotel and relaxed.
view of Amelia (with Todd asleep in the background) she got her first sticker a "My first trolley tour" from Mr. W @ the trolley station.
My plan for the trip was to sleep, sight-see and take in time with Todd. It's so rare that we get to be alone. He is truly my best friend because he allowed me all of the above-plus he planned a few fun things! :)

Friday morning we woke up and had professional photos taken in Forsyth Park. This was the first time we have had pictures done of the two of us since we were married! Dana-the owner of Minibird Photography has become a good friend of ours! We both (will) have Amelia's!
Add caption

We did some sight-seeing and shopping and then another nap...followed by a carriage ride and a yummy pizza dinner at Vinny VanGoGos :)
The Olde Pink House where the carriage picked us up :)




Saturday was a very relaxed day. We woke up-did some antiquing, real estate looking,


 and then lunch at Bernie's Oyster House. (no oysters for me but BOY did they look good!!) it was a very comfortable atmosphere with really good pub food.

After lunch we went back to the hotel and took a nap. I promise the best part of the trip! Then we got up and headed to Leopold's for Ice Cream. I had a coconut scoop in a sugar cone. Almost a week later....still craving it.



Its not for sale-but if it was-It would be our house.

We went back to the hotel-got dressed and headed back down to the riverfront to have dinner-again-at Boar's Head. I am not usually a repeat eater on vacation. But yall-let me tell you. This is an awesome place. Nestled right on the river front, The restaurant is situated so you can see the boats passing by. We both ordered the Savannah steak salad. It's a bed of salad with hand cut (and amazingly seasoned) meat. Topped with fried onions (really thin fried hand battered onion rings) and served with a honey mustard dressing. Simple and FILLING. The service here is amazing. Our glasses were never more than 1/2 empty, our table was always cleaned of dirty dishes, and when we got ready to leave...our server walked us to the door to wish us farewell. For real. Off the Chart service.

Our favorite part about this restaurant is the open kitchen. You can watch your food be prepared and how long it "sits" in the window. Let me tell you-on this night. Chef Philip (the owner) was working Expo (pulling out the food preparing it to go to the tables) and NO dish sat for more than 1minute 20 sec. (yes, I timed it.) You can feel his pride for his dishes and his staff is very confident in their preparation of plates.

After dinner-we did one more "tour" The Ghost and Gravestones tour. It was a fun experience (not scary) and learned a lot of history about Savannah's darker side :)




We went back to the hotel-to bed-then to the airport the next day. It was an amazing trip-so thankful for the chance to go!

1 comment:

  1. What a fun getaway! Savannah is a place I have always wanted to visit!

    ReplyDelete

Let's Chat