Monday, January 21, 2013

MLK day

Happy Martin Luther King day!

This is one of my favorite "holidays" and has been since I was in 4th grade, Mrs. Edwards class and I was assigned a report on Dr. King.

Growing up in the South (central Mississippi-where Dr. King marched...sit-ins happened and racism is still an issue in some places) a young white girl researching the topic of Dr. King's life and presenting his story to the class can cause for some controversy-but for me-it was eye opening.

I remember the feeling-it was an overwhleming since of pride-that I as a 4th grader felt when I read Dr. King's words.

"Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter" - MLK

It was that point in my life where I vowed to not see color. To not use race words. To not categorize or judge others because of race, financial status, or religion.

It was a decision that over my life has caused many lost friends and deep heated discussions.

Over the 20  years since that report-I have grown and my views on the world have been opened. I see people constantly posting on facebook negative remarks over our president-a nation being torn to shreds by the left and the right sides. People angry over debt ceilings, healthcare, money. It is sad that on a day like today (MLK and inauguration) my facebook newsfeed is filled with anti-Obama messages.

I started to feel a bit overwhelmed. I know not all things are perfect in our government but as Christians we are called to love and to pray for others-including our enemies. I opened my reader and found this awesome article about things Christians must keep in mind today-and it was all the emotions I have in my heart-written more beautifully than I could express.

I don't talk politics on this blog a lot, because I want this place to be a reflection of my family-our journal that my kids can read and look back on all the memories we have created but I want my girls to know I will not teach you to ridicule others, complain, or view our governments decisions as your only way of life.

Your faith in God is your way of life. Your attitude should always reflect that of a Christ driven attitude. And when people you love disagree with you and you don't understand why they see it that way-remember that your job is to love others the way Christ loved us and if that makes you an outcast-so be it.

Today  we commemorate the universal, unconditional love, forgiveness and nonviolence that empowered MLK revolutionary spirit.

Thank you Dr. King-

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let's Chat