Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Lifestyle. Part 3

When introducing those around me to my new lifestyle the most common questions are, "where are you getting your protein from then?" "Are You starving yourself?" "Can Veggies really give you all you need?" Well, I am learning all of this as I go. So here is some info that I found.

I decided to embark in this journey after reading this article, i watched the documentary and was intrigued by it. the whole concept. I already love vegetables so It was really just letting go of the other things...

I started doing research and found that Ellen is a Vegan!

From "Going Vegan" 
Do It for Yourself
Scientific studies supported by the American Dietetic Association have confirmed that vegan and vegetarian diets are associated with lower cholesterol, lower risk of heart disease, lower blood pressure, lower risk of hypertension and Type 2 diabetes, lower body fat, and lower overall cancer rates. In fact, studies have shown that a vegan diet can actually reverse diabetes, heart disease and even cancer. For more info, check out "Forks Over Knives."
Vegetarian and vegan diets tend to be lower in saturated fat and cholesterol, have higher levels of dietary fiber, magnesium and potassium, vitamins C and E, and folate.
The health benefits of a vegetarian and vegan lifestyle are vast. The American Dietetic Association (or ADA) released a report which stated that vegetarians and vegans "meet and exceed requirements" for protein consumption. In fact, vegetarians and vegans usually have better protein consumption than people who eat meat, dairy and eggs.

I gather my protein from protein rich veggies like Broccoli and asparagus, avocados & spinach. Also throw in some almonds (21.1g of protein) and things like whole wheat pastas, etc. And of course...my Luna Protein bars :)


Like I said in Part 2. There is no other reason behind this experiment other than, I want to try it. Its not an animal cruelty bit, its not a religious movement...its simple the fact that I want to be the healthiest me I can be. My only 2 hold backs are Honey (i read somewhere that this must be cut out to be considered Vegan) I use this daily for allergy medication and Goat-Milk Soap (the savior to mine & madysons skin)

I want to share with you some of the foods I have been eating.

1) Hummus, Salsa and homemade chips.
2) Meatless Tacos (i could have added black beans to this but didn't feel like it at the time)
3) Avocado & Tomato Salad
4) Peanut Butter
5) Almond Milk
6) Quinoa (this is a new thing for me...)
7)oatmeal
8) McAlisters has a veggie club that is really good! I get it without the cheese :)

Needless to say, I am not starving. I have made a few exceptions (aubrie's party i had cake that had eggs in it...and a slice of pizza for dinner) but other than that, I am trying really hard to do this.

1 comment:

  1. Hey girl! Congrats on the new healthy diet! If you decide to pursue a vegan (or strict vegetarian) diet in the long-term, send me an email. There's several important nutrients that are either impossible (or very, very hard) to get adequate amounts from plants alone.

    There's just a few things you need to concentrate on eating a lot of, or you might need to start taking a few supplements. I'd be happy to help ya!

    ReplyDelete

Let's Chat