Thursday, March 8, 2012

A memory for you to always have

Madyson,

Last Sunday we were out delivering girl scout cookies with Aubrie, Nana, and Maw. It was a full afternoon of 4 generations of crazy women. I want you to have this day as a memory. And since you are so young, I decided to write it out for you to always keep.

Maw is so special to me. She was the best grandmother ever. I have such sweet memories of playing in her yard, picking and growing vegetables with her, making mud pies on her porch, eating snack plates after school while watching The Monkees on TV.

A few years ago, Maw got really sick and developed Dementia and it has slowly started taking her away from us. Most 5 year olds don't understand this disease. But you baby, you do. You are so patient with Maw. You don't get upset when she doesn't understand what you are trying to say, you help her walk, you buckle her seat belt, and most importantly you treat her with respect, always.

This past Sunday, I watched you with Maw. We had stopped in at Popeyes to get you a shrimp basket, and Aubrie and Maw chicken nuggets. We had to wait on Maw and Aubrie Kates food. So while we waited you helped Maw put her straw in her drink, you showed her where her cup holder was, then you buckled yourself back up and sat and had the sweetest conversation with her. I was watching you in the rear view mirror and I wanted to capture that moment and hold on to it forever.


Here you were, sharing your french fries with Maw while we waited. No one asked you to, you just did. I say time and time again that I know God has big plans for you. Your heart is the most amazing thing I have ever witnessed. I have never met a child more loving, more compassionate, and more understandable to the needs of an elderly person.

I pray that you will have this memory and all the other precious and sweet times you have with your great grandmothers and grandmothers. These woman are apart of you and always will be.


2 comments:

  1. sarah, this is just beautiful! my grandad has dementia and it is such a sad, sad disease, isn't it? what a sweet little girl you have. i am in tears as i am reading this. thank you for sharing!! not only did madyson bless you (and maw) with her tender heart, she blessed me today, too just by reading this! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with Amy...tears! This was beautiful. It's also really special for me to read and think (and pray) about the little girl Ann Peyton will be in a few short years. What a blessing!

    ReplyDelete

Let's Chat