Friday, February 6, 2009

Welcome to our world!

Welcome to our world!

Life in our family is anything but average. Todd and I are a very different couple and our kids are pure delights.

Let me tell you how it all happened...from the beginning.

Todd and I met in a random sort of way. I was working for a company as a corporate assistant. my job was to assist in the set up of a new restaurant, hire staff, train staff and then stay at the restaurant for 2 years as a lead.

We (my bosses and I) had been working non-stop for weeks to get the restaurant open. I had to hire 5 more employees but none of the applicants were "up to par". I begin looking through my male bosses "110" file. This is a file of applications that they didn't want to interview. I started searching and came up on Todd's application. I read over his resume, and saw the picture he had provided. I knew then, that he was my future husband. I told my bosses that we had to hire this guy...because I was suppose to marry him. They laughed and told me that he probably wouldn't even date a bossy girl like me. I told them to give me 6 months and we would be together. So as a bet they allowed me to call Todd and invite him in for an interview. I called his number...no answer...so I left a voicemail. He called back later on and we scheduled an interview. The day of his interview, I was so nervous. What if my gut was wrong (it had been wrong in the past) what if my feelings were lustful and nothing more? Interview time came around and he walked in, I introduced myself and the GM that would be interviewing him. I sat a few booths back to watch the interview. Not only were his dimples to die for, he actually was a great canadidate for the job! He was hired and the countdown began!

Opening a restaurant is the most fun I have ever had. Picking bar glasses, decor, menu items. All was exciting. But this particular chain made their employees go through hours of rigourous training. Test...classes...etc. I was sitting in one of the classes as another trainer explained menu items when Todd walked in...he sat in a booth with some people he apperantly knew. They talked and talked. Weeks went by and nothing. I don't think he had even noticed me. Then one night out of the blue, he invited me over to his apartment. I ofcourse went, we hung out, and that was the beginning. For the next six months we spent everday together. Working, hanging out, laughing, getting to know each other. It was just a natural relationship. One night I walked into his dirtyyyy apartment and started picking up. A few of his friends were there and one of them said "Broadus, you need to marry this girl" he said, "oh I have already picked out her ring". He handed me this piece of paper with the description of the ring he had picked out. I just laughed and said, "if this is a proposal, the answer is yes." Then I went on cleaning. A few weeks went by and he decided we needed to have dinner with his parents. This was really like our "first date" to say. We went to dinner, it was great. His mom and I bonded (a few glasses of wine helped!) then Todd and I said our good-byes to them. We headed over to my apartment and on the way there he asked me if I liked his family. I told him I did, so much. Then it just came out..."I think we should just go and get married" We always joked about running off and getting married but for some reason that Sunday night...we both felt like we should. So we loaded up some friends, hoped into the car and drove to New Orleans. There we met, Rev. Tony and he explained to us all that we needed to do in order to be legally married. We camped out on the stairs of the Courthouse, when they opened the next morning we applied for our marriage lic. and then went make to Rev. Tony. There we were married, on a Monday morning!

A few days later, Hurricane Katrina hit. We watched as the New Orleans courthouse was flooded. "EVERYTHING ON THE FIRST FLOOR HAS BEEN DISTROYED" the news anchor said...the first floor housed the records department where our marriage lic. would be!! Weeks went by and still no marriage lic. So we decided to plan for a real wedding and keep our elopment a secret. All was fine until a month before the wedding. I hadn't been feeling well and decided to go to the doctor. They couldn't figure out why I was having all these random symptoms. So they decided to do a sonogram to see if their predictions were correct. Sure enough, they were. I remember sitting there with my heart pounding, "well, you are pregnant, you are actually 3 months pregnant". I quickly did the countback in my head...3 months would make conception time in October and we were married in August...so that is okay. Now for the fun part. To tell our parents!! It is hard enough to tell your parents who are working so hard for you to have a grand wedding that you are pregnant...but is a big boulder to tell them you are already married.
Todd's parents handled it great, his mom actually started monograming outfits. My Dad was cool with it..but my mom...not so much. She broke plates...ash trays...if it was glass...it shattered.

Now she looks at us and out of amazment can't believe we have almost been married for 4 years and have a strong and loving relationship...and 2.. count them....2 kids!

tomorrow will be the story of the girls...look forward to it!

3 comments:

  1. I just found your blog and decided to start at the beginning. I am so glad I did! What a fun story!! Looking forward to following along! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, this is like something straight out of a movie! You should make a movie!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! oh my goodness! I got here, by the way, because my bestest friend in the entire world just moved from Indiana to Clinton, MS and you were so sweet to reach out to her. I am so grateful for you to do that! <3

    ReplyDelete

Let's Chat