Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Dependence: Guest Blogger Jill Kyser prt 2

We are getting use to life right now. Its a little odd but we are adjusting. Todd is interviewing at different places this week, and we just pray that God puts him in a place where he will be able to be a dad and still work. We are expecting a pay cut. Todd was at the top of his game when he left his company, so we know that you can't start at the top...and we are okay with that. We had gotten use to a life of frivolousness and now, we have to get use to a life of necessity. As I was trying to drown myself is self pity that I couldn't go and buy the stuff I wanted for my next pinterest project I decided to catch up on the lives of my friends The Kysers. If you remember a few years ago I shared about how they (mom and dad and their 3 kids) had been called to be missionaries in Africa. Well they have been there about a year, they have welcomed their 4th child and they are still serving the Lord. 

The below post is what Jill posted today. Its amazing how God uses your friends to speak to you.

 

 

Dependence

Dependence- Websters defines it this way: 1) the quality or state of being dependent; especially: the quality or state of being influenced or determined by or subject to another 2) reliance; trust

I love that definition.  This is lesson number one that the Lord has taught me over the past year.  Dependence.  I thought I was dependent upon the Lord before moving here.  I thought I trusted HIM for everything and turned to HIM for what I needed.  I did not.  I lived in a society that had more than enough of EVERYTHING.  If I needed fuel, I went and got it (and I complained if I had to wait 10 minutes for the two cars in front of me to fill up first).  If I needed food then I went to one store and was assured that it would be there.  If it wasn't there it was surely at another store and all I had to do was let the store manager know what was missing and it would be there next time.  If my power went out then I knew that I could call Entergy and let them know (although hundreds of other people had already beat me to it I'm sure) and that teams from hundreds of miles away would be hauling tail to get to our area if we needed more help to get that power on quickly.  And if water went out, well....our water never went out.  That was unheard of.

But I didn't consider these luxuries as hampering my dependency upon the Lord.  I mean, when we think of dependency on HIM we think of good health, safety, and well-being.  Right? We think of the big things that the Lord can provide for us like a home, a job, a husband, or a child.  Well, Philippians 4:19 says that, "my God will supply all your needs according to His riches and glory in Christ."  Notice that word: ALL.  He will supply everything that we need.  He has proven this time and time again in our lives but many times we credit our own resourcefulness with HIS provisions.  Honestly, I'd just never HAD to depend on God for a lot.  I lived in one of the richest societies ever known to man.

Then the Lord changed all that.  We were called to Malawi and our world literally got turned upside down.  Summer is now winter.  Winter is now summer.  Left is now right.  And right is now wrong.  We have gone without (yet we still live like kings compared to the vast majority of the country).  We have searched for things in vein. We have rejoiced over sugar being on the shelves.  We have cried when those around us have taken our trash home to their family for supper. We've learned so much. We've changed so much.  But the most important lesson is that we have learned that we truly are dependent on HIM to supply all of our needs.  All things come from Christ.  Our daily bread, our needed water, our comfort and peace...it all comes from HIM.  And the miracle that we see daily is that HE indeed supplies it!!!

Acts 2:22 says, "Men of Israel, hear these words: Jesus of Nazareth, a man attested to you by God with mighty works and wonders and signs which God performed through him in your midst, as you yourself know...".  When Jesus was on the Earth he performed many miracles, signs, and wonders.  The fact is, He still performs these miracles, signs, and wonders but we are sometimes blind to see them.

Our fuel tank is currently below empty and there is no sign of petrol anywhere in the country.  But I know that the Lord will provide for us when it is time.  How do I know this?  Because He has proven himself time and time again.  Sometimes he provides before the needle hits "E" and sometimes he provides after.  Sometime I'm sure he will let us walk or ride our bikes and this is a provision in itself.  The fact is, HE WILL PROVIDE even if it's not when and how we want.  He is faithful and true.  He is always there and He knows what we need without our asking.

Our fuel tanks are low quite often here (literally and spiritually) yet it is in these times of need that we have become dependent upon HIM.  Praise God for our need!  Praise God for HIS provisions.  Praise God for our dependence!

Jill

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let's Chat