Sunday, October 20, 2013

The Process of Decrapification.

Yall. I need to confess a major sin. It's a sin that I have a feeling many of you commit daily-I have been speaking about this on facebook over the past week and I have discovered MANY women who suffer from this. So here it is-are you ready?

I have a lot of crap.

There-I said it. And yall-I am going to be real honest-I have so much crap-I can not enjoy my life.

Over the 15 months as my life has been spiraling out of control I began making list-because list are organized and well thought out. One of my  list is things that I need to make me feel better. The #1 thing-A clean house. And by clean I don't mean dusted daily-and spotless. That's weird to me-especially when you have 3 kids. I mean I want to get a phone call from a friend saying "I am in your driveway coming for a visit" And my first thought is "Come on in" not "OMG my house is a disaster!!" Why is my house a disaster? Because of all the crap.

So-Over the last 7 months I have been focusing on this. It started right before Mia came-then took a pause for a while-then I worked on it...but for the last 8 weeks-I really dug down deep. I set my plan-and I began.

I cleaned out one closet-one drawer-one cabinet. I took each item and said, "How do I use it?" "What purpose does it serve?" and "Does this bring joy or stress?" Some items...like the high heels that kill my feet were easy to get rid of. The others like baby clothes-not so easy. So then I had to ask myself the REALLY hard questions..."Why do I need this?" because of memories? No. If that was the case-I would have 2600 square feet of sweet memory crap. Because someone gave it to me? Well-it was used well and loved now its time to move on.

I put everything in garbage bags and started loading them into Todd's office (he never uses it) then I moved them to the garage and started sorting.

Each item is now being sorted. Pile 1) Donation. Pile 2) Consignment Pile 3) Garage Sale. Whatever is left after the garage sale will go straight to a charity-I have already scheduled the pick up.

Y'all, I want to enjoy my life. I want to spend Saturdays doing craft projects or snuggling with my girls-NOT CLEANING CRAP. I want manageable laundry NOT MOUNDS.

I want to walk into my bed room and it be filled with things that I love not decorations because Pinterest tells me it is the right way.

I want simplicity. I want my kids to value what they have-not be so overwhelmed with stuff that they are ungrateful. I want to need something-and know exactly where it is.

So-that's where I am. Decrapifiying my life.

So tell me friends---Do you have issues with this? Do you keep things because of memories? Do you desire to be free of clutter?

1 comment:

  1. Yep. You summed it up well. I have started decrapifying my life as well. I've started in the living room. It's the biggest room with the smallest area to decrapify so I started with it so that I could feel some accomplishment early on. Then I'm moving on to the master bedroom and closet. That should take a year! Ha! But I agree with you totally. . . . .about all the crap and about decrapifying it! Great post!

    ReplyDelete

Let's Chat