Monday, October 21, 2013

The Process of Decrapification Dos.

I believe that means (part) 2

Yesterday, I shared with you my sin of crap and yes Crap is a sin. When I die (which I will) and I go to heaven (which I will) I will not be packing my suitcases and taking them with me. I will not be ordering my POD full of memories and loading them up and moving them through the big pearly gold gates of heaven. It is not happening.

All the "stuff" the CRAP as I am calling it (because stuff is so nice) will be left here. And so will my memories of it all.

Here is another secret-((sorry Mom...in advance))
Growing up we had a junk room in our house. Not a drawer (although we had those too) we had a junk room. A room of boxes and baskets full of stuff. Our garage was full of stuff. Our porch was unusable because it was full of stuff. Our closets, our cabinets...all were full of stuff. When we purchased the house from my parents 2 years ago-and we started moving out things. We found dishes wrapped in newspaper dated 1989. Meaning. Those dishes were packed up when I was 5. We have lived in 2 houses since then...Why did they still have those dishes??

My parents treasure their "Treasures". Now they are not hoarders with dead cats under piles of stuff-that's nasty. But if it is usable-my dad keeps it. If someone gives it to my mom...she feels the need to keep it. They attach to stuff. And as an adult-I found myself starting to drift that way.

It has been a prayer of mine over the last few months-that God teach me to not need so much. And boy-did He. He helped me see the crap-clearly.

This crap-it is keeping me from having free weekends to go and serve with our missions team. This crap-is keeping me from being able to open up my home to the youth of the church. This crap is binding me in so many ways. It. is. suffocating me.

In todays world we are being taught to value "things". Pinterest is a source of that. How many pins do you have that is material based? According to my profile...I have about 2,680. 2,680 pins that I see that make me want and desire things. Wow.

This whole decrapification process is not only a stress management tool-it is a way , that I pray,  brings me closer to God. I want to desire God more. I don't want "things" to fill my life. I want God to fill my life. And if I have "things" in there too--I want them to be things that I treasure. Not just things that I have because someone gave them to me, they were expensive/on sale, they hold memories, or 15 of my friends had pinned them.

I want less. Over the past year-and all our drama-I have learned I really can live without things. I do not need every clearance item at Target. I do not need a new coat every winter. I do not need to keep all the clothes people give me.

I talked about the plans Todd and I made a few days ago-One of those plans is downsizing. It is a huge desire of ours to live modestly. We currently have around 2600 square feet. With the porch and garage. We want to downsize to about 1800/1900-with some acres. We want to be down to the minimal and be thankful for the bounties God has given us.

Crazy right? I know. Trust me. It has taken a lot of preparation and prayer over the months for me to be content with that.

But now-it is a desire of my heart. We talk about this a lot with the girls. I tell them I am ready to be able to spend time with them-and not so much time cleaning and picking up stuff. They are excited. They even have purged a lot of the items they no longer use.

Continue with us friends-What are some of the things filling up your life??







1 comment:

  1. Hey! I have been inspired by your posts to start the decrapification process at my home! I've written about my start at de-cluttering, and I have linked your two decrapification posts within my post so my readers can read your posts. Thanks so much for motivating me!

    ReplyDelete

Let's Chat