Friday, December 14, 2012

a friday.

Yesterday-I stayed home to nurse a cold. Today-I forced myself back to work because we have 6 school days til Christmas break-and A LOT of stuff to get done.

The day started out like any other day. We decided to have "Ornament Friday" were we worked meticulously on ornaments with our 25 kiddos for them to take home next week. We gathered field trip money, tied bows, worked on worksheets, and went to lunch. The kids go out to play after lunch and I get a few minutes to eat in the lounge with other teachers.

We were all discussing weekend plans, my illness, typical daily chatter.

When one of our janitors told us to pull up the news on our phones. "There's been a school shooting"

Immediately, the 10 of us start pulling up information and learning about the massacre in Connecticut

As an employee in the school system, the words "School shooting" radiates through your body. Its the one drill that is hard to practice because of the fear it instills in children and in teachers. The sad reality is, it is probably used more than the earthquake drills.

I went back to the room as the kids were entering with the other teacher. We just whispered about the incident and went on with our day. Speaking no words near the ears of the babes.

When school was over and the last child was on the bus, the day was over and it was now time to go and learn more of the details of this event.

News report after news report, my heart sank even more. Kids ages 5-10....dead. Teachers dead. The shooters mother...dead. Facebook/twitter was filled with #prayfornewtown, and "holding my babes closer tonight".

My heart aches for these families, for our country and for the community that will have to live with this incident forever.

You never know when and where your last moment on earth will be. You could endure this type of horrific event in public schools, private schools, home school groups....You could be driving down the road and wreck, you could be walking to a mailbox and a tree fall. You are not guaranteed tomorrow. Pray for your community, your state,  your nation-daily. Not just in the aftermath of a tragedy. Hold your babes tight every chance you get.  .....((I will step off my soapbox..I could say a lot more..but we will save that for another time.))

We took a positive approach to the evening and stepped away from the television. We visited Grandaddy and helped him put up his Christmas tree.

This Christmas we are learning in more ways than one about gratefulness. We are grateful for the amazing Christmas we had last year in California with Todd's mom, we are grateful for the months we had her pre-stroke. We are grateful for the determination and strength she had post-stroke. We are grateful for the caretakers and family that cared for her in her last days...we are grateful that tonight-we were able to smile and laugh and be a family. When so many are hurting.






1 comment:

  1. As a teacher, my heart was breaking. I hate the day we do lock down practice because it is so hard to explain to 2nd graders what is going on and why we need to practice. I know understand those drills are so important because in our society, it is reality. I am now trying to prepare myself for all the questions that will come from my little ones on Monday.

    ReplyDelete

Let's Chat