Saturday, October 27, 2012

The race.

2 Timothy 4:7: I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, and I have kept the faith.

Weeks ago, Madyson and I were laying in the bed discussing death and the fight grandmomma has fought against Cancer. As my 6 year old laid beside me...with tears rolling down her face asking me, "what can I do to save Grandmomma?" I set speechless.

I have learned, as a parent, when you dont have the answer...God will step in. The verse found in 2 Timothy 4 came to mind, then the thought of breast cancer awareness month followed. I shared with madyson how in order to find a cure for Cancer, researchers needed money/funding. And one way they get this is by walkers/runners in marathons fundraise for them. Thats all it took. She asked if she could participate in a walk so she could "save the grandmommas" for other kids so they wouldnt have to watch their grandmother suffer, the way she has. How could I say no? We signed her up online and discussed raising $250 for breast cancer. I thought that was reasonable. Thanks to amazing friends and family, Madyson raised $500.

Today, we got up and headed to the state capital to make strides. My brother, sister-in-law, neices/nephew, mom, todd and Madyson were all registered walkers. Aubrie kate and I planned to cheer them on.



The race began and they were off. Aubrie kate and I found a spot near the finish line and entertained ourselves with the ipad and snacks.

45 minutes into the race my mom, SIL, todd and madyson returned. My mom (a breast cancer survivor) was walked out, my SIL had bronchitis and the cold air wasnt helping and todd and madyson had to help them get back.

I could tell Madyson wasn't done and to be truthful, I was frustrated Todd didnt keep going with her. ( I know hormones...) I asked her if she wanted to finish-she said she did...with me. So 5month pregnant momma took her by the hand and we cut over to the 1mile sign where they had left off and hand and hand we walked (with daddy)  the rest of the 2.2 miles. the whole time I prayed for no contractions and heart problems. I knew Madyson needed to finish this goal for grandmomma and for her own mental being. One thing about Madyson is she processes things like an adult. The weeks leading up to the walk, she kept telling me..."Im going to tell grandmomma how I am helping find a cure for Cancer so when you are a grandmomma you wont have to be sick like her."

We got to the 3 mile marker....it wasnt much longer til we were done. Once she finished, she said..."I finished the race"

Yes baby girl, you did.

We headed out for lunch at the diner and then home for a nap. We had been home a few hours when we got a text from Todds stepdad....

"You might want to make it to the house today...moms not doing good."

Todd and I left the girls with my mom and headed over. When we arrived, we were heartbroken to find she is no longer able to communicate, having a very hard time swollowing, and fading...fast.

We have hours, days, maybe a week left with Grandmomma....and all I can think is..."She has fought the good fight."

Madyson finishing the race. Pictured with My mom-cancer survivor.
The race of life is a difficult and challenging one. Sometimes, in order to finish the race we need to start over. Sometimes, we just need to keep the faith. In Hebrews, we are told "..... let us run with endurance the race that is set before us." The race God has planned for me is different than the race God has planned out for you. May you run your race with endurance and faith, always fighting the good fight.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Let's Chat