Thursday, December 8, 2011

The new outlook on Laundry

For 3 years I have written about my love hate relationship with Laundry. It consumes my life, it always needs to be done. Just when I think I am caught up, I get another load....

It is something that has to be done, but is so annoying.

The other night I was serving at our church's clothes closet. This is a monthly thing for me that I enjoy doing. I always leave there with a life lesson but this past night was a huge exception.

A young mother walked in with her 4 children ranging from around 7 to newborn. She began looking through the racks when I over heard her say, "The temperature dropped so fast, and we don't have the money for winter clothes right now." She was standing in a short sleeve shirt, all of her kids were in short sleeve shirts and it was around 30 degrees.

I stopped and at that moment felt God thump me on the back of the head. No winter clothes? I thought to myself.. Here I am, a spoiled person. I don't spend alot of money on clothes. Most of the kids clothes are consignment unless mine or Todd's mom bought them for them as a gift. Mine are target/walmart/tj maxx, or burkes...Todd has the most expensive wardrobe because he has to be dressed for work everyday...but we have 5 closets full of clothes. Winter, summer, spring....fall....We get to change out our clothes as the seasons change....I get to have 15 baskets full of laundry to do at the end of the week. And that is a blessing. A HUGE blessing.

What if ....I didn't have clothes for my children?

What if....when the weather dropped they still had to wear shorts because thats all they had?

God blessed me that night by showing this family to me. What I feel like is a chore, would be a huge blessing to them.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let's Chat