Sunday, May 15, 2011

Eye Surgery, Playdough, and lots of take out!

Last Friday morning we got up extremely early-loaded our first born daughter into the car-and headed off to the surgical center to have muscle correction surgery.

We had been prepping Madyson for weeks about surgery. I had through each step that would happen and she was okay with it all. The only part I left out was details...WHAT was going on during surgery...she didn't need to know, or she wouldn't be okay.

So here we are at the surgical center. Getting her temp taken (see the sweet thermometer on her head)
we colored a bit, in her "outpatient surgery adventure" coloring book and her NEW box of 96 crayons-they make every situation better.

Nurse Mary came in and took her bp and her pulse rate and brought her gown to her. She worked a deal to keep her pj pants on...isn't she adorable?

The Dr's came in and told her all about it. How she wasn't going to feel anything and she would be sleepy. Meanwhile, she played with silly putty. She ignored everything they said and asked them to play silly putty with her...they obliged.

They gave her some "happy juice" at my request...although, I think she has my tolerance bc it didn't phase her.

Then, it was transport time! She sat on her little bed and waved by as they wheeled her off. I held in all tears and just prayed...please keep her safe.

During the hour of surgery, text and facebook messages saying "praying for madyson" came in every minute. Friends of mine, that I haven't seen in years were sending messages-it really helped keep me calm knowing that she was being lifted up. I think I even made the statement to someone (i tend to talk to strangers when stressed) If God monitors prayers like Twitter #PrayingforMadyson is defiantly trending in heaven.

1 hour 18 minutes later Nurse Martha (Mary...then Martha?....Hello God) came and said Madyson is in recovery and sleeping like an angel. That we could go back when she woke up. Whew...relief. PTL.

45 minutes later.....Martha returns to say, "she isn't waken up...but come on back." My response..."She is breathing though...right?" Yes, she was breathing, but she was catching up on all the sleep she has missed. There laid my sweet little sunshine. Snoring away

. She had a little IV in her foot, they removed that so if she did wake up...she never knew she had it.

1 hour of sitting there listening to her snore....they released us to go home, with pages of instructions. Madyson continued to sleep....until 5:30 that evening!!!!

When she woke up she wanted chick-fil-a and campbells bakery tea cakes. My girl. She stayed awake for a few hours, coloring with Aubrie, and then she fell asleep again.

Saturday-Our friends Chris and Darla, brought us breakfast and Madyson a balloon and stuffed animal. When they left, we watched movies and took a nap. By the time Todd got off work Saturday I was having cabin fever...So he called Darla and she and I went out to eat to celebrate "mother's day" while Todd and Chris stayed home with Madyson, Aubrie, and the two byrd babies. When we got home-Todd had the girls in bed, so he and I watched Fireproof.

Sunday-was probably the best mother's day ever. I got to sleep late with my girls-we watched movies, played play dough, Todd worked on the porch, installed the last drawer pulls on my sofa table, ate applebees and had a sonic coke =) I got to organize the girls closet, it was just slow-restful peaceful.

Madyson is def. on the mend. She is still very light sensitive and says it feels like sticks in her eyes, but she isn't crying or being fussy-she is totally being a big girl.

This past week, I have realized just how blessed I am. My girls have always been my hearts but spending 4 days with them, without places to go or things to do...has made me appreciate them so much. I think sometimes we get all caught up in life and when we have to stop and just spend time together-we realize what blessings really are bestowed on us.

2 comments:

Let's Chat