Tuesday, October 13, 2009

til death do us part.....

Do you have ideas of what you want to take place at your funeral? Do you even want to have one? I constantly think about how much I do not want to have a so sad funeral. I believe death of a loved one is hard enough on surviving family and friends, why through in sad songs, videos, and preaching about "being with the Lord".

I am a Christian, I believe that because I asked Jesus to live in my heart and I was baptized that I will spend eternity with Christ, in heaven. I choose to live my daily life as a Christian. Sometimes I slip and fall, but I ask for forgiveness and try harder the next time.

I want my family to remember the good things about me and the fun times we had, Not dwell on the fact that I wont be at Christmas to fill stockings or at Easter to die eggs.

So, in Lu of this, I have decided to pull out my "funeral plans" from years ago and revise them. I want it all done. So all my family has to do is say, "okay this is what we are going to do."

I might even go ahead and write my eulogy. Who knows?

I began thinking about all this a few weeks ago, when my grandmother became ill. When I was 18 she came to me and asked me to sign some paper work for her. I read over it...it was her living will. She wished to donate her body to the local medical school to be used for research and education. At first I thought, wow...what if I am in medical school when she dies and I receive her body..but then I thought, I won't go to med school because I do not like throw up. So I went ahead and signed it for her. She told me, "don't make a fuss about my death. I have lived a long life full of love, have a party, pour some drinks, and say "thank god that bitty is dead!" (lol if you know my maw you know I didn't make this up!)

So when she left that day, I wrote down her quote...and I plan to fulfill her plans when that time comes.

Until then, I will thank God for all he has done for my family. And be grateful for that!

1 comment:

  1. Girl I say all the time that I want my funeral to be a party not a sad event! I know the people I've left behind will miss me (hopefully), but I want them to rejoice in the fact that I'm in Heaven dancing down the streets of gold with Jesus and they will get to see me again one day!

    ReplyDelete

Let's Chat